[SOLVED] Game frametime gets consistently high for no reason after a strange event, and thus become unplayable

Jan 19, 2021
For a while now I've been experiencing random framedrops and consistent high-level frametime when playing even the simplest game, don't really know why, it just started doing it; I don't know what it could be, I've read many threads in countless communities and most of them say that it could be the GPU, or the CPU having management problems, but it's not the case, since the temperature and use of both of those don't even get to the 80 percents, especially the GPU, using less than 50% almost all the time. RAM I don't really know, the use of it isn't something to be reckoned with, it's 8GB RAM using at maximum 6-7. The only thing that could be something for me is the HDD, that reached 50º Celsius.
I don't think it's the CPU, since it's not like it acts like a hard limiter to the build, nor the GPU that uses less than half of its maximum reach of performance, the RAM doesn't become 100% full when playing or even editing with Chrome open, and it leads to the HDD, that whenever it's use comes to 100% or near because of Windows or whatever else, the computer becomes slow, and maybe the frame times also get affected; I am no expert, but if someone could help me to discover what is happening, why is happening, and how it's happening, it would be much appreciated.
The Computer consists of: Intel Corporation HM65DESK; Intel Core I5-2540M; NVidia GTX 1650; 7200 RPM 2TB HDD; Cooler Master Masterwatt 450W.

Solution
Hi there,

I'd start with your Ram. With just 8gbs of system ram, it will fill up pretty quickly with files required for a game. For example BF V can use upward of 10gbs ram, and that's just in in-game menu.

With just 8gbs you system has to dynamically manage the usage. With some system ram reserved for hardware, you are left with approx 7gb out of 8. If you then game you are then using up remaining ram. When this happens your system will start to use the swap/page file/virtual mem. At the point your ram maxes, it uses the swap file, which is located on your SSD/HDD, which are much slower than system ram. This causes the FPS drops, and in turn Frametime etc.

Having 16gbs (which is standard now for a gaming PC) and maybe an ssd as...
Hi there,

I'd start with your Ram. With just 8gbs of system ram, it will fill up pretty quickly with files required for a game. For example BF V can use upward of 10gbs ram, and that's just in in-game menu.

With just 8gbs you system has to dynamically manage the usage. With some system ram reserved for hardware, you are left with approx 7gb out of 8. If you then game you are then using up remaining ram. When this happens your system will start to use the swap/page file/virtual mem. At the point your ram maxes, it uses the swap file, which is located on your SSD/HDD, which are much slower than system ram. This causes the FPS drops, and in turn Frametime etc.

Having 16gbs (which is standard now for a gaming PC) and maybe an ssd as your boot drive, will speed up your system hugely and take out that horrible fps drop when you game.

Reactions: Wh1t3st4r
Solution
Jan 19, 2021
Hi there,

Having 16gbs (which is standard now for a gaming PC) and maybe an ssd as your boot drive, will speed up your system hugely and take out that horrible fps drop when you game.
Thank you for the tip, but sorry to waste your time, apparently my CPU was with a messed up GHz, because I forgot to change the PC's power plan; it was stupid, but whenever I get some serious problem, I will remember your post.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead