davyjonesy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Hey guys im new to the forum
sry if i post this thread in a wrong section or something :D

i recently have some problem with my newly bought PC
the problem is that my Pc freeze when i run these followng games:
Bionic commando, Call of juarez and Rddick AODT

the freezing occur when i play the game for sometime, it depends but eventually it WILL freeze.
but mostly when i start playing for 5 mins run smoothly no lagging at all Bam! then game froze up and i need to restart. it froze my entire PC
ctrl alt delete f4 what so ever doesnt seem to working the only solution is too reboot.
there are 3 types of freezing
1.my monitor will display a black screen with nothing else no cursor, nothing just plain black
2. some time a purple stripe with noises
3. a flying box around my monitor saying "Not optimum mode recommended 1440*900 bla bla bla"
(this only occur when i try running the game with a different resolution and lower the graphic.)

-install new driver check!

-monitor my vga temperature (not really high..) check!

-install newest directx9 check ! (havn't try dx10 yet.. Hm...)

-increase the fan speed check!

-change the game resoultion and reducing the graphic check!

-reinstall the software check!

then it run fine for about 20-30 mins then Bam!
again...
it only postponing the inevitable! :sweat:

but then a miracle happen!
when i try changing the graphic option of Riddick.
changing the pixel ratio from 16:10 xx:xx to auto.

the game run excellently, no crashing no freezing. Yippy! 1 solves 2 to go.
(still I hurried to finish the game. :p ) i try using this tactic with the other 2 games
but it doesn't seem to fix it. or maybe i did something wrong - -

i have no problem or what so ever with my other PC games
GTA4, Crysis Warhead, Resident evil 5 and other run smoothly at 60+ fps
no crash at all. just these follwing games.

so i dont know whether its the software, my graphic card... or my windows
im quite sure that my PSU 700w can handle the power.
i think there is something to do with the windows, the monitor and the graphic card.

my friend said that i should reinstall the windows. :??:

here is My specs:

CPU- intel (R) corei5 2.67Ghz
VGA- ATi RaDeon 4890 crossfire
Ram - 4gb DDR3
MB: P7P55D
PSU: Olympia 700W

i need your help plzzzz i try what ever i can already. everything i know and it doesn't entirely fix the problem.
most of the time Just delaying it. Now every time i install something im scared s**tless afraid... and worried ..that i will not be able to play it.
i dont want to live in fear! :ouch:

Hope that some experts or guru in this forum might me able to help me
any solution or any help is really appreaciated.

Thk in advance. :bounce:

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
That's pretty obscure especially since it only happens in certain games. Does your computer turn off or become unresponsive completely when that happens?

There's no "Olympia" brand PSU on 80 PLUS. If the efficiency is low and the 700W you quoted is actually the input wattage and not the output wattage it may not be enough to run your two HD 4890s in CrossFire under full load. Even though it doesn't happen in some other games, they may not be stressing the GPU enough to require the extra power your PSU doesn't have.

Regardless, I'd recommend updating to either Vista x64 or Windows 7 x64 to take full advantage of your memory and provide further crash protection and isolation. You should take a look in your administrative tools (this can be found by searching in the control panel in Vista) and examining the crash reports in Event Viewer and Performance & Reliability Monitor. They will tell you when and why your computer crashed in a visual timeline.

davyjonesy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Yes the entire PC become unreponsive and i have to restart.
i check the crash reports event it doesn't say anything specifc abu the crash at all
like it never happen just some

davyjonesy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
oh i found this

under
failure: distruptive shutdown
version: 6.0.6002 service pack2
failure detail : The computer was not shut down properly
date: 16/10/2009

will this help making the problem alittlebit clearer ?

i dont evenknow if this is the specific shutdown that cause me to freeze.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Are you using this tool?

For example you can see that it tells me Windows had an unexpected shutdown. If I right click it and select technical details it provides me with better information.

If that's not enough, I can look at Event Viewer which is a bit more advanced.

Here I've sorted my events by the "critical" level which is only severe events which affect the overall stability of the system. I can see how many times my computer would not restart from hibernation or when I overclocked my GPU too much and had to hard-restart. :p If I right click them and view the details it gives me even better information.

davyjonesy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
you really help me out!

now i know what is the problem eventhough i can not yet solve it
seem like it something to do with directX.. thingy will try installing it again

will report back soon

man! you roCK!!!

davyjonesy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
strange eventhough it point out the probelm
but it dosn't seem to be the problem that cause the freeze just some error

i look at the event viewer and it didn't
metion anything criticle except a distruptive shutdown

i will reinstall the window see if it help

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
It may be a display driver problem. Can you post the selection in a screenshot on here? You can upload the image at ImageShack and then paste the forum link #1 ImageShack provides you after it's done uploading. If not, you can just copy and paste the information.

Have you tried removing all display drivers (includingCatalyst) completely and then updating them to the latest version via this link which I have found for you.

Do not trust Windows Update, I have noticed it lags behind on my HD 4890 drivers and will try to get me to install older versions.

Next, you want to check for problems with your DirectX install. Press Windows Key + R (Run) and type "DxDiag" which will bring up DirectX Diagnostics. It should tell you if there's anything wrong. Poke around in the information there and see if there's anything out of the ordinary.

davyjonesy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Thk again man!
look like you're the only person that help me lol

Ok i ll paste some screenshot here

No i didnt uninstall the old driver before i install the new one
but this freezing occured before i install the new driver and after the installation anyway.

i thought we have to uninstall the driver only when you change the type of your graphic card, like from nvedia to ati..

i turn off automatic updates and UAC
i even turn off the firewall..

i think the problem is my window. i will try installing
w7 or xp pro see if it help

thk again

gek77

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Well, I thought my PC has some issues...but reading this.....I got the same errors. I play Tomb Raider Underworld on my newly build rig (ASUS M4A78T-E, ASUS EAH4870, Corsair CMPSU 620HX, 4 Gig RAM...). After playing a while, the game suddenly freezes. At one point it exitted automatically to the desktop where everything was kind of purple whit some artifacts and so on...