[SOLVED] Game freezes after 2 seconds in full screen...

Dec 13, 2019
I'll try my best to explain this. I searched online and couldn't find any solution because no one's had this issue.

I recently installed a new graphics card, and ever since then I've been having a problem with some games that I run in full screen (Finding Bigfoot, GTA IV, Rainbow Six: Siege) . Basically, I run the game in full screen, and it works for 2 seconds, and then the screen just freezes, but I can still hear the sounds when I control something.
If I tab out and then tab back in the game, it will work again for two seconds and then it freezes again.

I fixed this in certain games which allowed me to use Borderless Window which is basically full screen, but some games (like GTA IV) don't have this option.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I could do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Okay, so I finally fixed this. It is not the best solution and I hope that AMD releases new drivers which will fix this.
It seems that AMD's new drivers, Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 completely broke full screen for many people.

1. I downloaded the AMD Cleanup Utility .
2. Rebooted my system in safe mode (when you run the Cleanup Utility it should ask you to reboot the system automatically).
3. Uninstalled all AMD drivers and software from my PC.
4. Downloaded and installed Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.12.1 (optional) drivers.
5. Success!

I hope this will help anyone who has a similar issue, but this also shouldn't be a permanent solution - AMD must fix this.
Dec 17, 2019
I'm assuming you've removed all old video card drivers (and installed the new ones).

How many monitors do you have?

Is your main monitor's resolution any different from 1920x1080?

If any of the games you have contain an 'Resolution Scale', have you tried descaling this? Even if it doesn't solve the issue completely, see that if on a lower resolution the time before the screen freezes is longer.

While it's no excuse, as Rainbow Six: Siege should be optimised, but GTA IV is well-known to be a real mess of a PC port. Just saying as you might want to try troubleshooting this issue on different games instead. 👍

Dec 13, 2019
  1. I removed all old video card drivers and installed the latest ones.
  2. One monitor.
  3. Resolution is 1920x1080.
  4. Resolution does not have any impact on the time before it freezes. Resolution scale didn't help me either.
I know that GTA IV is a mess on PC, but it worked well until I changed GPUs... :(

EDIT: I just tested it with Watch Dogs and fullscreen is working for some reason. It happens to random games.

EDIT 2: OMG NOW IT STARTED HAPPENING WITH WATCH DOGS!!! WTF

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019
Okay, so I finally fixed this. It is not the best solution and I hope that AMD releases new drivers which will fix this.
It seems that AMD's new drivers, Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2 completely broke full screen for many people.

2. Rebooted my system in safe mode (when you run the Cleanup Utility it should ask you to reboot the system automatically).
5. Success!

I hope this will help anyone who has a similar issue, but this also shouldn't be a permanent solution - AMD must fix this.

Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

5. Success!

All you had to do was install the latest driver AMD just released a few days ago, which is '19.12.3'. It fixed the issues many were having with the previous update of the screen freezing and such. You went through all that for nothing, like going around the block just to walk next door.