• Response Time FAST
    • DAS Mode ON

Hardware
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME 8G 8 GB GDDR6
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 3200MHz (32GB - 4x 8GB)
PSU: Corsair TX-M Series TX650M V2
Case: NZXT H510
Cable PC>Screen: DisplayPort Cable

The Issue

Back in February 2022 I bought the LG Ultrawide screen. Although the experience was amazing, something was off as I started to run into issues.

The main problem is that, whilst gaming, my screen will suddenly freeze. In the background however, I can still hear the game’s audio continuing, my keyboard, mouse and steering wheel input even still work as I can hear myself shoot, walk or see my steering wheel turn like crazy as I crash into a wall whilst I can’t see anything. After a while the game does turn silent sometimes.

If I’m lucky, I am able to ALT+TAB and close the game or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to get to task manager and end the task. There the task also sometimes says the application is not working anymore.

If I am out of luck, I am not able to ALT+TAB or get to Task Manager. The only solution then is to click the physical power button on my computer or CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down my computer from there. After which I quickly click Cancel when my PC is trying to close all apps so the PC stays on.

When I use my 24.5 inch screen (AOC G2590PX) in 1920x1080, I have no issues at all.

What also started to happen when using the ultrawide, is that my GPU would start to blow louder than usual. At first I took this as a sign that the frozen screen issue could come any minute, however when paying attention to it, I found out that it also crashes without the GPU being so noisy.

The crashes happen randomly. Some days I’m in luck and it pretty much never happens (some games have it more often than others. E.g. the racing sims tend to have it more often than other games) but sometimes it happens almost every 5 minutes.

Sometimes, the game does respond to the crash, giving me a pop-up talking about an issue with the GPU:
Destiny 2 Error Code: BROCCOLI
Overwatch 2 Error: Your Rendering Device is Lost

However, most of the time I have to manually shut down my PC to get out of it.

Games in which I had crashes:
  • Destiny 2
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • CS:GO
  • Overwatch 2
  • No Man’s Sky
  • New World
Troubleshooting:
These are all the things I’ve tried this past year, with no success:
  • Extra RAM (went from 2x8GB to 4x8GB)
  • MemTest86 (No errors)
  • Other DisplayPort cable
  • Disable Adaptive Sync of monitor
  • Lower resolution (1440p, 2560x1440)
  • 3DMark Time Spy Benchmark (normal score)
  • Two PCIe cables (1 per slot instead of 1 cable for both slots)
  • Upgrade to Windows 11
  • Updating Drivers
  • BIOS Updates (multiple times in 2022)
  • Removal of Anti Virus (Avast)
  • Checking Windows Event Manager (No errors found)

I hope any expert or anyone who has had the same issue can help me out. It has been a significant annoyance that also blocked me from joining friends online as a sudden disconnect in games was possible which could ruin their night of fun.

This is my last call for help before I will have to save up for a hardware upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your time (it's quite some text but wanted to provide as much info as possible) and help!

Last edited:

job.vanaalst

Honorable
Dec 18, 2017
Age of Computer: 3.5 years

Monitor
LG UltraGear 34GN850-B
  • Resolution 3440x1440 (34 inch)
  • Screen Settings
    • 144hz
    • Adaptive-Sync On
    • HDR OFF
    • Response Time FAST
    • DAS Mode ON

Hardware
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME 8G 8 GB GDDR6
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
RAM: 4x Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 - 3200MHz (32GB - 4x 8GB)
PSU: Corsair TX-M Series TX650M V2
Case: NZXT H510
Cable PC>Screen: DisplayPort Cable

The Issue

Back in February 2022 I bought the LG Ultrawide screen. Although the experience was amazing, something was off as I started to run into issues.

The main problem is that, whilst gaming, my screen will suddenly freeze. In the background however, I can still hear the game’s audio continuing, my keyboard, mouse and steering wheel input even still work as I can hear myself shoot, walk or see my steering wheel turn like crazy as I crash into a wall whilst I can’t see anything. After a while the game does turn silent sometimes.

If I’m lucky, I am able to ALT+TAB and close the game or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to get to task manager and end the task. There the task also sometimes says the application is not working anymore.

If I am out of luck, I am not able to ALT+TAB or get to Task Manager. The only solution then is to click the physical power button on my computer or CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down my computer from there. After which I quickly click Cancel when my PC is trying to close all apps so the PC stays on.

When I use my 24.5 inch screen (AOC G2590PX) in 1920x1080, I have no issues at all.

What also started to happen when using the ultrawide, is that my GPU would start to blow louder than usual. At first I took this as a sign that the frozen screen issue could come any minute, however when paying attention to it, I found out that it also crashes without the GPU being so noisy.

The crashes happen randomly. Some days I’m in luck and it pretty much never happens (some games have it more often than others. E.g. the racing sims tend to have it more often than other games) but sometimes it happens almost every 5 minutes.

Sometimes, the game does respond to the crash, giving me a pop-up talking about an issue with the GPU:
Destiny 2 Error Code: BROCCOLI
Overwatch 2 Error: Your Rendering Device is Lost

However, most of the time I have to manually shut down my PC to get out of it.

Games in which I had crashes:
  • Destiny 2
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • CS:GO
  • Overwatch 2
  • No Man’s Sky
  • New World

Troubleshooting:
These are all the things I’ve tried this past year, with no success:
  • Extra RAM (went from 2x8GB to 4x8GB)
  • MemTest86 (No errors)
  • Other DisplayPort cable
  • Disable Adaptive Sync of monitor
  • Lower resolution (1440p, 2560x1440)
  • 3DMark Time Spy Benchmark (normal score)
  • Two PCIe cables (1 per slot instead of 1 cable for both slots)
  • Upgrade to Windows 11
  • Updating Drivers
  • BIOS Updates (multiple times in 2022)
  • Removal of Anti Virus (Avast)
  • Checking Windows Event Manager (No errors found)

I hope any expert or anyone who has had the same issue can help me out. It has been a significant annoyance that also blocked me from joining friends online as a sudden disconnect in games was possible which could ruin their night of fun.

This is my last call for help before I will have to save up for a hardware upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your time (it's quite some text but wanted to provide as much info as possible) and help!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS