Game freezes/crashes because of wrong settings

Mar 16, 2018
Hi,

I build this PC 3 months ago and ever since I build it I have had issues while playing games. When playing minecraft or fortnite the game just crashes randomly and I have to restart the game (there does not seem to be a "trigger" for the crash. Sometimes I can play for hours, sometimes I it crashes on startup). Rocket league just freezes for about 2 seconds and then I can continue playing (This often happens multiple times in a row with intervals ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes.)

My friend and I swapped ram sticks for 2 days to test whether this was the problem. In these 2 days I have not had a single freeze/crash/issue. My friend (who was using my ram sticks for those 2 days) did not have any issues either, so the RAM sticks are not broken. (he was playing the same games I had issues with).

I figured someting had to be wrong with my settings, The clock speed of the dram was set to "auto" and below that it said 2933 MHz grayed out. The clockspeed of my sticks are 3000 MHz so I thought I would change it manually from "auto" to the "ddr4 - 3000" option. This did not solve the issue. After this I tried to use XMP profile 1 and XMP profile 2. These did not solve the issue either.

Then I tried changing the voltage of the ram sticks. Online it said that the sticks are tested at a voltage of 1.35V and in the bios it said that the voltage was 1.360V. So I changed it to 1.350V. This resulted in a BSOD after a couple of minutes. I am not sure if the change in voltage was the cause of the BSOD.

My specs:

Windows 10
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x4 GB 3000 MHz (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15)
Geforce GTX 970
AMD ryzen 5 1600
MSI 370X Gaming plus

Thanks in advance

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
One thing else,which psu do you use? =maker+model+wattage.

Can you manually set the next for your ram in the bios?

speed: 2933mhz
timings: 15-17-17-35
voltage: 1.35V
See if this will keep going. Ryzen is still very finnicky with ram so you might have to settle even for less like 2666mhz.You said the "auto setting" already set it to 2933 so it might well be that this will play right.

Mar 16, 2018
I am using the Corsair RMx Series RM650x (650 watt).

Those timings are already set by default.
I can change the voltage and speed.
When I activate XMP profile 2 the speed is 2933 MHz. Should I use this XMP profile or should I disable XMP and set it manually? (or does it not matter?)

I checked this morning if there was another bios update and there was. The update should increase ram compatibility so I am testing it atm. If this update did not fix the issue I will try the settings you suggested.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Like i said does Ryzen still not always play right with ram so i would try 2933 if this works without issues. It's something that is better suited for Ryzen as well as an originally supported speed.
The speed difference between those two speeds,3000mhz vs 2933mhz, is also negligible.

And btw good choice of psu. ;)

Mar 16, 2018
I just had a freeze in rocket league with the new bios and the clockspeed of the ram was set to 2133 MHz (which is the default setting. 2933 MHz is the default setting for XMP profile 2. I did not make that clear in my first post. sorry for that.) and the voltage was 1.2V. I just changed it to 2933 MHz and 1.35V. Going to test it now.