Game freezes for 3-5 seconds at a time

Apr 21, 2018
Whenever I’m playing fortnite, predominantly early in the game my game freezes for 3-5 seconds at a time before everything is normal again. It’s easy to see all the problems it creates. This happens at different frequencies, sometimes it happens every 5 seconds while other times it may only happen once.
I got a gtx 1060 abt 2 months ago which greatly reduced the choppy game play I used to have. I have a fx-6300 for a cpu which could be holding back the 1060. My ping is good, it hovers around 30. Is there anything I need to do on my computer or do I need to upgrade a part? Thanks in advance.

Do you have at *least* 8 GB, and preferably 16 GB of RAM? (8 GB is starting to lag behind in many titles as Windows alone can gobble up 5 GB)

Are you playing on a spinning hard drive? a hard drive that has difficulty reading data can cause stutters, especially if it is 3/4 full or so.... (DO your stutters occur standing still fighting in place, as well, or only as you are moving around/advancing in an open area?)

If you are short on RAM, you have to question investing any more money into a older DDR3 rig....

Any Ryzen would be faster, and, likely, any processor starting with "i" made in the last 4 years....

Apr 21, 2018
I do have 8 gbs of ram, I was going to upgrade it to 16 but I thought the $100 wasn’t worth it. My hard drive is a spinning one. The game freezes especially in the beginning when I’m in a house or I’m gliding(really frustrating). But it happens later too. This may be important, when I land in a high pop area like tilted towers that’s when my game is the worst.

I'd be leery/hesitant to sink more money into any more DDR3, but, an SSD, even if it does not help much, can at least be carried forward into next build. (Are you running a pair of 4 GB sticks? Maybe you could borrow two more sticks to see if it helps..?)

THe FX and any processor less than FX8350 is fairly weak, IMO....; most overclocked them just to equal 3 years older i3's running 600 MHz slower in average framerates in gaming, truthfully....

If you borrow some more RAM and it helps, then you know the $100 will be worth it or not before spending any mroe money on it, but, I'd be inclined to look for an R5-2600/B350/DDR4 combo

Hard to tell, as WIndows updates and even marginal AV software often botch assorted drivers, etc....

Can't rule the CPU out, but, if you check if your MB is compatible with an FX8350, that would be your call, and, a bummer to find out later it was storage or inadequate RAM as the primary cause....

But an SSD is never wasted money, as it can be carried forward....