Question Game freezes on a single frame until alt-tabbing out and back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bFamous

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
New world works fine, no freezing at all
Rust only froze about twice, but wasn't consistent enough to really bother you
Diablo 4, Gang Beasts, and League of Legends freeze every 30-90 seconds. The game is still running, your character is still moving in game when you click around, there is no "not responding screen"
The screen will stay completely frozen until I alt-tab out of the game, then tab back in - Everything will start working again just fine until the next screen freeze.

Few things I've turned off to test are in the AMD Adrenalin software:
-In-Game Overlay
-Toast Notifications
-Radeon Anti-Lag
-AMD FreeSync Premium

There is no option for hardware acceleration under my display settings to turn off. (This seems to fix similar issues for others)

Hardware acceleration was previously turned off under discord settings. Issue remains.

i7-8700K
MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT
16GB ram

Apr 20, 2023
Hey, I have the exact same problem
R5 3600
Sapphire 6900 XT Toxic
B450 Tomahawk
MSI MPG A1000G (1000W)
16GB (XMP, no other tinkering)

I encountered this problem in League of legends or Csgo, try switching fullscreen/exlusive fullscreen, turning off enhanced sync.

Also try turning off background things like browser, while ingame, I'm still trying to find out root cause of this problem, but any of those things I listed suppresed the problem for the time being.

Reactions: BangBro85
May 1, 2023
Ive been having the same issue as well for the past 5 months or so.

Sapphire 6900 XT Toxic
MEG X570 Unify
Ryzen 9 5900x (Just replaced and was having issues with old CPU as well)
64 GB G.Skill
Corsair RM 850X

League freezes frame. The Cycle: Frontier sometimes just has a really dark screen and wont light up as if HDR is enabled. Battlefront 2 freezes frame. Although when i play in windowed mode the problem does not occur. Its only when in fullscreen or borderless. Ive turned all my settings to default and have reset and uninstalled and reinstalled apps with no success. Ive updated my bios for motherboard. Ive checked every individual driver in my system to make sure all are up to date. Ive turned off all "overlay" screens too. This really has bogged my enjoyment with my pc and games. I hope its not video card issue as this card just became a year old last month.

Jun 5, 2023
I'm also having this same issue. Seeing a common theme in this thread with the AMD GPUs. Happening in multiple games but not all.

My specs:
i9 12900k
PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900xt
16 GB RAM

Jun 5, 2023
I'm also having this same issue. Seeing a common theme in this thread with the AMD GPUs. Happening in multiple games but not all.

My specs:
i9 12900k
PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900xt
16 GB RAM
I found a potential fix. I disabled Enhanced Sync in AMD Adrenaline software and haven't had the issue in several hours of play time. Upon researching this, it appears this was an issue about 4 years ago as well and seems to have returned in a newer driver update.

Reactions: Satharaan
Jun 20, 2023
Hello. I'm using W11's advanced graphics feature. Rending the desktop on my iGPU (7700X cpu), and games on my 3080.

As of recently, I've noticed that alt tabbing to another window (To view information), then clicking back onto the game, causes a slideshow of FPS. If I repeat the same steps, it solves the issue..

Another issue, is that the graphics are rendering fine with no artifacts, at a steady 60 FPS, but my mouse and keyboard movements become a slideshow when I load certain games. I'm trying to figure this out.

Adrenalin: 23.5.2
Nvidia: 536.23

rivanor

Reputable
Jan 2, 2020
I found a potential fix. I disabled Enhanced Sync in AMD Adrenaline software and haven't had the issue in several hours of play time. Upon researching this, it appears this was an issue about 4 years ago as well and seems to have returned in a newer driver update.

Logged in here after years just to say thank you.

I was having frequent freezes on Diablo 4 just as the OP mentioned, and after turning Enhanced Sync off, the problem is completely gone.

Dec 21, 2023
Thank you very much for this!

Status
Not open for further replies.