[SOLVED] Game goes black screen and SSD seems to have crashed ?

arjay_1

Reputable
Jun 17, 2017
Hello,

As the title states, when I play any type of games on my SSD (Crucial MX500 M.2) the game would open, go into the game and goes black then the process stops. After forcing it to close through task manager, checking steam and seeing my downloads, there was a 'DISK WRITE ERROR' meaning my SSD has malfunctioned. Opening the windows file and checking the drive files such as excel, word and pictures seem to be ok but won't launch anything such as games or applications.

I've checked CRYTSALDISKINFO and CRYSTALDISKMARK by running both simultaneously. Read and writes normal with speeds of 500MB/s whilst CrystalInfo and Crucial storage executive states my drive is healthy. I've ran a MiniPartition Wizard surface check and 0 errors were on my drive. I've also then formatted the disk using MiniPartition and reinstalled a game but still crashing.

Also, I have enough space on my OS drive which is also an SSD (Kingston 250GB sata) and have APEX Legends run with no problem and no crashing and also opened the game when the second SSD crashed and the game runs fine. Although, when I run it on my other SSD it crashes with a black screen, force closing the game and then checking crystaldiskinfo and SSD is missing but windows still shows it...

I suspect the SSD dying but I hope wouldn't need to buy a new one :(

SPECS:
Ryzen 5 1600x
GTX 1080
Steel Legends b450M
600W Aerocooler AeroCool? PSU
16gb (3x8gb) Ballistix ram
Kingston 250gb ssd
Crucial mx500 NVME sata

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the exact model for your Aerocool PSU and it's age? You should've invested in something more reliable like a Corsair TX650M unit. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and see if the SSD you own has any firmware updates pending. You can use Crucial's app to source and update the SSD's firmware(if it's needed).

Model for your Kingston SSD?

3x8GB = 24GB, 2x8GB = 16GB, so which is it?

Lutfij

Titan

What is the exact model for your Aerocool PSU and it's age? You should've invested in something more reliable like a Corsair TX650M unit. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard and see if the SSD you own has any firmware updates pending. You can use Crucial's app to source and update the SSD's firmware(if it's needed).

Solution

arjay_1

Reputable
Jun 17, 2017

Hello!
My PSU is the Aerocool intergrator 600w 80 + bronze psu and I’d say it’s about 3-4 years old. I’ll try and see about a bios update although not sure if that’s a direct causation as this just recently started happening.
Ive also used the crucial app and it’s on the latest firmware with a ‘healthy’ status on the SSD. The Kingston SSD is the SA400S37 240gb and my ram is a dual channel 2x8gb.

arjay_1

Reputable
Jun 17, 2017

I've figured it out!

I was debating whether it was my SSD or something else like my GPU or PSU. It was the PSU...
I bought a SilverStone 800w Gold plus modular power supply and it seems to have done the trick! Thank you for the help