MSI Gaming GTX 970
Asus Prime A329M-K
8G RAM

Old rig
i7-4790K
MSI Gaming GTX 970 (Same GPU)
MSI gaming motherboard
16G RAM

All drivers are updated to latest version (Nvidia panel / windows update / MSI Afterburner)

So first, on the new rig,
CPU usage: 80% while playing fortnite (fortnite actually taking 50-60%)
RAM usage : 80% while playing fortnite (made sure chrome is closed...)
GPU temps: 67 C
CPU temps: 60 C (not too sure, but I think)
GPU usage: all over the place... stutters with the game's FPS goes below 40 all the time when alot of people / structures get in the screen (it even stutter to less than 10fps once or twice per game)

Old rig
CPU: 20-40%
RAM usage: 50-60% (but i always like like 10tabs of google chrome opened)
GPU temps: 67C
CPU temps: idk
GPU usage: ALWAYS 100 % load, rarely dips
FPS: 70-100 (NEVER dips below 70 or rarely)

So after i switched to the new rig, everything is fine until i start to game (Fortnite, max settings 1080p, shadows off, i put shadow on on my old rig). Game runs somewhat smoothly until there's alot of people / structures on the screen. My framerates start to stutter from 120 to 30 (And my GPU Usage have the same stuttering issues matching my framerates!)

Is it CPU not good enough?
Is it motherboard not good enough?
not enough RAM?

On my old rig, the GPU usage always peaks at 100% and rarely drops down from that 100% (I get 70-100fps, NEVER goes down under 70)

UPDATE:

I just retested it with lower graphics / resolution. I get constant 100-120 as the game starts. Still have hiccups as it goes down to 60-70. As i found more people / buildings, hiccups push the fps down to 30fps time to time. And i dropped to less than 10fps twice in this game!

And the gpu usage cut in half when i the framerate limit is 144

https://imgur.com/a/qf0oAzM

techphantom

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
The cpu may be the cause of the problem, but Ryzen 3's are good at gaming though, but check if the cables are connected tight. The gpu also may be broken or corrupted. Lower down the settings and see if there is any difference.

Ram is OP.

Aug 23, 2018

I just retested it with lower graphics / resolution. I get constant 100-120 as the game starts. Still have hiccups as it goes down to 60-70. As i found more people / buildings, hiccups push the fps down to 30fps time to time. And i dropped to less than 10fps twice in this game!

And the gpu usage cut in half when i the framerate limit is 144

https://imgur.com/a/qf0oAzM