Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
Hello everyone,

My specs are :
AMD FX 8350
GTX 1060 6G
RAM 8G DDR3
Mobo Gigabyte 990XA-UD3

I used to play GR Wildland on High at around 40-50 fps.
Haven't played for a longtime on my PC for some reason and I upgraded recently W7 to Windows 10 and that's about the only things that changed.

Recently, I had a few BSOD while playing low resources video games or just browsing. I checked I had the most recents updates and drivers, included for the GPU and everything seems fine now.

However, I can't play GR Wildland anymore. And that's about the only game I can't play, that I used to play before without any issue. No matter on which setting (High, normal or low), i get around 20 fps and massive stuttering.

Seeing as I used to be able to play the game fine, I don't understand how that could be. Would you know of a explanation for this ? Could it be possible that successive updates to the game 'broke' it on my system? Do you have any advice for troubleshotting such a specific issue?

Thanks a lot,
Cheers

Solution
You should also try playing with the Uplay and/or Steam overlay off.

One thing I consistently had with GRW is problems with map textures loading slowly and hitching after launching the game. I noticed as well that vehicle sounds like doors opening and closing and engines, would not play if attempting to use them right after launching the game until you move 20-50' or so. The map when you bring it up right after launching the game would take 30 seconds or so to draw in without blur. If you tried jumping into gameplay right after launching the game there would be noticeable hitches the first few minutes, especially when traveling at speed in helis and such.

Since I was making a rather arduous video guide on how to beat the game on...

arcticcs

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks. Yeah I didn't do a clean install, upgraded from W7. I'll consider reinstalling from scratch...

I'm on build 1909 so i guess the latest.

I'll keep looking.

Anoraki

Commendable
Apr 4, 2017
The problem is probably from your bad Windows install, but I've also had worse performance in Wildlands as well. The game maxes out my CPU all the time, causing it to stutter. Apparently, that's from a bad DRM, but I didn't have as many problems until recently.

You should also try playing with the Uplay and/or Steam overlay off.

One thing I consistently had with GRW is problems with map textures loading slowly and hitching after launching the game. I noticed as well that vehicle sounds like doors opening and closing and engines, would not play if attempting to use them right after launching the game until you move 20-50' or so. The map when you bring it up right after launching the game would take 30 seconds or so to draw in without blur. If you tried jumping into gameplay right after launching the game there would be noticeable hitches the first few minutes, especially when traveling at speed in helis and such.

Since I was making a rather arduous video guide on how to beat the game on Extreme with no HUD or Skill upgrades, I set about trying to find a workaround for these problems. I'd been planning a hardware upgrade to put my OS and a handful of games on a NVMe drive for some time. When I finally got it and put my OS and GRW on it, things got considerably better. I no longer had the vehicle sound problem, and the map generally loaded clear right away. If it didn't, I would fast travel to the location I was already at, and that fixed it.

I basically used the clarity of the map as an indicator to whether I would get hitching, which was pretty reliable. There was still a slight hitch here and there when flying longer distances, but not nearly as bad. The game could use a texture preload option, even if it means taking longer to launch into the game. Of course you also have to be realistic with graphics settings and make sure your hardware can handle what settings you use. Draw Distance is one of the key things that affects performance in the game, and it's not so much the distance itself, but the distance combined with the map detail that bogs things down.

This guide shows a lot of tactics not commonly used which are very effective. It took nearly 3 months to make due to lots of attempts to find best tactics, routes, and vehicles, with the bare minimum gear/skills and no HUD, not to mention my relatively slow 5Mb upload speed. All missions start and end at a safehouse, with full travel routes shown. Average time of mission is under 10 min. There's 114 videos, which include the Inca Camina and Media Luna DLC missions.

Full Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHB6vX_n-5BOwb6B4izux5HjNAf0YFt00

Last edited:
Solution

arcticcs

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks guys.

So i've tried to shut down uplay overlay while playing, i seem to get more constant FPS around 29-30. But nothing really playable still.

I've decided it's not worth the hassle and it was time for an upgrade of CPU etc.
It should work better on the new system :)

PS: well done on beating the game like that