Game hosting server!

darkprovider

Reputable
Oct 31, 2018
Good Evening everyone!

So i have decided lately that its time to buy myself a server or build one and as far as i searched and gathered a lot of informations about servers i did not find anyone who explains what hardware do i need to get or is it better to go with the Dell R410 with dual Xeon E5 12 cores...
I just want it not to be above 700 euros as i am wishing to host multiple games servers Like Gmod, Minecraft as well as a website and they will contain from 100 to 500 players in total. So does anyone have any idea what to look for and how to do it with the lowest power usage and lowest cost possible.

I have a lot of experience with building gaming and normal PC's and im an IT student atm but i didnt get to the servers part in my education yet because it may take some time.

darkprovider

Reputable
Oct 31, 2018

I see, So i should go with a workstation style computer servers? But those that you included are a bit out of my budget, is there any other options that are also good but cheaper? I found the HP ML350E G8, is it any good or should i go with another different one?

darkprovider

Reputable
Oct 31, 2018

Well, the thing is that I'm gonna buy either a used one or a refurbished one, and I found a used one around $750 with 2 Xeon E5 in it. I tried to look for the Dell T7600 but I didn't find any results however when I searched for the HP Z820 I actually found a good company that sells it refurbished with a 1x 10 core Xeon E5 and a 32 GB RAM for around $750, I still don't know if a 10 cores or less or more will be enough for what I'm gonna do. Is there is any other options in your opinion?

kanewolf

Titan
I don't know the Dell lineup as well as the HP so I don't know what possible options there are. Having more cores may not be required. I think you should look at the recommended configurations for each game you want to host. I don't know how likely they will ALL be maxed out at the same time. Usually RAM is more in demand than CPU cycles.