Question Game is Always Rendered at 720p on RTX 3060

May 8, 2021
Some games are always rendering on 720p, the only thing that changes is scaling. I've compared it, there's literally no difference between 720p and 1080p, only thing that changes is font and scaling. This happens on a lot of games so far I've experinced this on Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Metro Exodus, Red Dead Redemption 2, Detroit Become Human, Mafia 2 Classic. The games that I've tested with no problems are : Witcher 3, Skyrim SE, Call of Duty WW2 and World At War, ETS 2. Any kind of help is appreciated. I've opened a similiar thread releated to this issue but since I better understand what the problem is I decided to open a new one. The games aren't blurry because of FXAA, TAA it's because no matter what I do I can't get the game to render more than 720p. I used DSR and even that doesn't help. If you want to look at the previous thread Question - Vulkan and DX12 Blurriness in RTX 3060 | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com). I'd RMA the GPU but due to lockdown I need to wait 1-2 weeks before I can return it.

Things that I tried :
I used DDU to remove the drivers then installed the latest one. (466.27)
I tried 2 different monitors and 2 different HDMI cables.
I set NVIDIA Control Panel to default values.

System Specs : Palit RTX 3060 Dual OC, I5 10400F, 16GB RAM, MSI B460M-A Pro, Corsair CV650

Last edited:

Cj-tech

Great
Jan 27, 2021
Some games are always rendering on 720p, the only thing that changes is scaling. I've compared it, there's literally no difference between 720p and 1080p, only thing that changes is font and scaling. This happens on a lot of games so far I've experinced this on Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Metro Exodus, Red Dead Redemption 2, Detroit Become Human, Mafia 2 Classic. The games that I've tested with no problems are : Witcher 3, Skyrim SE, Call of Duty WW2 and World At War, ETS 2. Any kind of help is appreciated. I've opened a similiar thread releated to this issue but since I better understand what the problem is I decided to open a new one. The games aren't blurry because of FXAA, TAA it's because no matter what I do I can't get the game to render more than 720p. I used DSR and even that doesn't help. If you want to look at the previous thread Question - Vulkan and DX12 Blurriness in RTX 3060 | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com). I'd RMA the GPU but due to lockdown I need to wait 1-2 weeks before I can return it.

Things that I tried :
I used DDU to remove the drivers then installed the latest one. (466.27)
I tried 2 different monitors and 2 different HDMI cables.
I set NVIDIA Control Panel to default values.

System Specs : Palit RTX 3060 Dual OC, I5 10400F, 16GB RAM, MSI B460M-A Pro, Corsair CV650
What kind of monitor/TV do you have? If it doesn’t support anything over 720p, you can’t expect anything above that.

May 8, 2021
What kind of monitor/TV do you have? If it doesn’t support anything over 720p, you can’t expect anything above that.
It does support 1080p 60Hz I'm sure. My monitor is Acer K222HQL, I also tried with a HP Elite Display 23 inch 1080p screen, same issue, I have a gold plated, high quality HDMI cable as well, tried 2 different ones and same issue. I had a GTX 1050 TI previously, and all games were rendering in 1080p. I'm running on all games on Ultra with no downscalings. When I change resolution to 720p, from 1080p FPS increases but there is literally no difference between visual quality, only changes is the font resolution. It seems that my GPU can process 1080p but can't output it on a lot of games. I'd return this damn thing immediately if not for lockdown.

Cj-tech

Great
Jan 27, 2021
It does support 1080p 60Hz I'm sure. My monitor is Acer K222HQL, I also tried with a HP Elite Display 23 inch 1080p screen, same issue, I have a gold plated, high quality HDMI cable as well, tried 2 different ones and same issue. I had a GTX 1050 TI previously, and all games were rendering in 1080p. I'm running on all games on Ultra with no downscalings. When I change resolution to 720p, from 1080p FPS increases but there is literally no difference between visual quality, only changes is the font resolution. It seems that my GPU can process 1080p but can't output it on a lot of games. I'd return this damn thing immediately if not for lockdown.
When you installed the new GPU, did you do a fresh install of Windows 10? It might be a good thing to do unless you have stuff that you don’t want to lose or re-install.

May 8, 2021
When you installed the new GPU, did you do a fresh install of Windows 10? It might be a good thing to do unless you have stuff that you don’t want to lose or re-install.
It's a brand new system. GTX 1050 TI was on a seperate system. On the system with RTX 3060, I installed UEFI Windows 10, updated Chipset, BIOS, GPU, Firmware etc.

hang-the-9

Titan
Maybe you just can't tell the difference between the resolutions, what differences in quality are you looking for? 720 using anti aliasing won't look much different from 1080, aside from fitting less on the screen.

I'd have someone else look at your setup and see what they think, someone that has some experience with various PC setups to know exactly what things should look like.

Reactions: artorias77
May 8, 2021
Maybe you just can't tell the difference between the resolutions, what differences in quality are you looking for? 720 using anti aliasing won't look much different from 1080, aside from fitting less on the screen.

I'd have someone else look at your setup and see what they think, someone that has some experience with various PC setups to know exactly what things should look like.
Between resolutions I look for sharpness, visibility, clarity of the image. I also oberseved that on some games switching to resolutions like 1280x960, 1280x1024 made fonts look better and sharper then 1080p.

May 8, 2021
When did you last have your eyesight tested?
I definitely think that it has to do with something releated to my GPU and not my eyes. This is not my first GPU I used GPUs like HD 6870, GTX 1050 TI and I really don't remember having problems like this on my previous GPUs. This is not the only problem with my GPU btw. On day 1, the first time I plugged it to my monitor, it took around 10-15 seconds to get signal from GPU and the VGA Debug LED on the motherboard was lighting in the meanwhile. It stopped happening after 2-3 days though. Also the Palit Thundermaster doesn't work correctly as well, the first time I open it, It says that I have a RTX 2080 Super and not a RTX 3060, the temperature, voltage, MHz, isn't read correctly either, but it crashes after 5 seconds, and after I try to open it 3rd, 4th time it works well. My guess is that they sent me a repaired card due to stock shortage.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS