[SOLVED] Game is using less ram than it should be; Task Manager shows percents as higher than would make sense

thenesremake

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
I've had a problem with games stuttering a lot for quite a while. I'll get high average framerates on everything I play, but once every few seconds or so my framerate will drop to almost zero. I decided to check Task Manager, and it appears as though the RAM I have is the issue. However, it says that it's taking up 2.5 GB of RAM, but when I change the value type, it says that this is 60% of my total RAM, meaning that Task Manager either thinks that the game is using less RAM than it is/should be using (i.e. it thinks I have 4 GB of RAM), or the game itself actually is using that little RAM, which would explain the stuttering problem. Upon examination in the BIOS, it seems that my computer recognizes that I have 8 GB of RAM, and I don't have any reason to believe that my RAM is incompatible with my motherboard. These are my RAM specs:

unknown.png

Question here is, is my computer really not using more than half of the installed RAM, or is Task Manager wrong? If the former, how can I fix this? Thanks.

Solution
you are using 3.5+GB of your 4GB VRAM. and ~7GB of your 8GB system RAM.
getting a better GPU and a larger & faster set of system memory should both be a priority.

your CPU dips correspond with your GPU dips so i would guess it is a bottleneck caused by the weak CPU. the 2200G is not what most would consider a "gaming" CPU, more for regular computing and very light gaming. maybe with a nice 3rd party cooler and decent overclock it would offer more what you need.
use an onscreen display while running the game(s) to see exactly how much RAM is being used normally and when the stutters occur. something like MSI Afterburner.
and make sure you have the correct specifications set in the BIOS for your RAM; voltage, timings, speed, etc.

post the rest of your system specs.

thenesremake

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
use an onscreen display while running the game(s) to see exactly how much RAM is being used normally and when the stutters occur. something like MSI Afterburner.
and make sure you have the correct specifications set in the BIOS for your RAM; voltage, timings, speed, etc.

post the rest of your system specs.

Sorry it took me so long to get the software set up. Here are the graphs:

unknown.png

The parts where my CPU usage dip momentarily or drop altogether for extended periods of time are parts where my framerate drops to 0. Toward the beginning and middle of the graph are open areas. Toward the end is an enclosed space. Since the Memory and RAM usage don't drop at all, I have reason enough to believe the issue is with my RAM. I don't have experience or knowledge to compare it to, so I'm unsure as to why the Memory usage is always hovering around 3.5MB. Other than that, though, because of the RAM usage, it's clear as day I should buy more RAM, right? Tell me if you need more information.

you are using 3.5+GB of your 4GB VRAM. and ~7GB of your 8GB system RAM.
getting a better GPU and a larger & faster set of system memory should both be a priority.

your CPU dips correspond with your GPU dips so i would guess it is a bottleneck caused by the weak CPU. the 2200G is not what most would consider a "gaming" CPU, more for regular computing and very light gaming. maybe with a nice 3rd party cooler and decent overclock it would offer more what you need.

Solution