Game keeping lagging/stuttering, help?

Dec 28, 2018
I just recently purchased a PC and as a test I downloaded Fortnite (Don't judge just at test and it's free) and for the first day it ran perfectly without any problems. following day I jump back on with some friends and notice lag/stuttering every 5-10 seconds, I tried downloading my driver for my graphics card and made sure everything was up to date, didn't work. I turned the in game setting down to a lower resolution, didn't work. Ran a test on Will It Run to see if my PC would even be able to handle the game and it proved me right, easily handle the game w/o a problem. I tried restarting the computer, uninstalling and reinstalling and haven't gotten anywhere. I thought maybe my WIFI wasn't keeping up so I jumped on console and messed around on a couple games and WIFI was just fine.... I need help.
My specs:
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @3.20GHz
16 GB ram

Solution

The 5400 RPM WD drives (Green, SSHD, most of the Blue) park there heads after about 10 seconds. When Windows tries to access the drive again, it pauses for a split second while it waits for the heads to unpark. This shows up in games as lag or stutter every 10 seconds or so. Because it's dependent on the hard drive being idle (for the heads to park), it will not happen if there's other hard drive activity going on. But if there's no other HDD activity, your games stutter.

Details to test if this is the problem are in the link I gave. Along with possible fixes.
Dec 28, 2018

The only thing I know about the hard drive is that it is 1TB, i will do a little research to find out. Why?

The 5400 RPM WD drives (Green, SSHD, most of the Blue) park there heads after about 10 seconds. When Windows tries to access the drive again, it pauses for a split second while it waits for the heads to unpark. This shows up in games as lag or stutter every 10 seconds or so. Because it's dependent on the hard drive being idle (for the heads to park), it will not happen if there's other hard drive activity going on. But if there's no other HDD activity, your games stutter.

Details to test if this is the problem are in the link I gave. Along with possible fixes.

Solution
Dec 28, 2018

Thank you so much, I will try this.

Dec 28, 2018

I don't see the link, if you could get it to me id appreciate that!