Game mode on monitor

Ammo87

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
I use my monitor (http://) for multiplayer games on my Xbox One, because I seem to do much better on it compared to my 55" Samsung. I'm just curious, does the "game mode" actually improve response time, refresh rate, etc., or does it simply adjust the visual settings (brightness, sharpness, etc.)?

Solution
Enter the Game (mode)
For many years, knowing gamers would be bothered by bad input lag, companies started adding a Game mode that would reduce input lag and allow your in-game performance to be tied closer to your personal skills and reflexes (for better or worse).

However, Game mode isn't magic, nor does it simply overclock the processors and jack up the performance. Instead, it starts taking things out. Color processing, noise reduction, advanced scaling, all of these aspects and more get thrown out or greatly reduced. As such, the image gets a lot worse. Scaling artifacts are much more likely. Color accuracy and even potentially color temperature tracking, all suffer. The image can get noisier as well. What specifically gets...

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Enter the Game (mode)
For many years, knowing gamers would be bothered by bad input lag, companies started adding a Game mode that would reduce input lag and allow your in-game performance to be tied closer to your personal skills and reflexes (for better or worse).

However, Game mode isn't magic, nor does it simply overclock the processors and jack up the performance. Instead, it starts taking things out. Color processing, noise reduction, advanced scaling, all of these aspects and more get thrown out or greatly reduced. As such, the image gets a lot worse. Scaling artifacts are much more likely. Color accuracy and even potentially color temperature tracking, all suffer. The image can get noisier as well. What specifically gets tossed varies per company, but the end result is the same: less input lag, worse image.

One of the most common offenders of bad input lag is high frame rate LCDs (120 and 240Hz ). The processing needed to fill these higher frame rates is intensive, and one of the first things to go in Game mode. However, ditching these higher frame rates means motion blur is greatly increased, so everything that moves, or if your avatar looks around, the image blurs. This can be almost as bad as the input lag in as much as it prevents you from accurately seeing your enemies.

Lastly, Game mode is not a guarantee of no input lag, just a hope for less. One TV I reviewed this year had seriously bad input lag, and while Game mode improved it, it was still significantly worse than other TVs.

(Quoted)

Solution

Ammo87

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
First, thanks for the very fast responses. While I have you, lol, aside from my internet connection which is strong and maxes out around 115-120 mbps, what could cause a significant change in experience? For example, I was playing CoD: AW and consistantly finishing with k/d ratios upward of 4:1. All of a sudden I can't do anything, I get put down very quickly, can't aim, and it takes way too much to put other people down. I tried playing wired and wireless, I reset the router as well. Besides that, I haven't changed anything, including the way I play.

Sorry, I know I'm getting off topic, but if anyone could offer any input, I'd really appreciate it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I dont know that sounds strange what is your ping in games? Go to speedtest.net and run the test if you dont know.

morgilroka

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
That sounds pretty normal....

Try with game mode on and see what happens. I also play better on different screens than my monitor, i prefer my 60".
Not that i'm saying my monitor doesn't do the job. It looks awesome. It may just be in my head :p