Game performance degradation in Windows

ashish18

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hi.

I am a gamer with a GTX 970.
I was using Windows 8.1 and was not getting enough fps in games which made my GPU feel weaker than it is.

For example, I was getting 93 fps overall average score in game Bioshock Infinite's benchmark app (ultra preset).
I did a clean installation of Windows 10, installed same version of GPU drivers and antivirus and ran the game benchmark again. My score was 130 fps this time which is 40℅ more than before. That is good part.

Then I went online, installed apps that I needed, Windows Update ran and installed some new updates and in mere 3 days I find myself back at 90's fps range. It sucks.

How do I avoid this? Anyone know anything about this?

I tried uninstalling everything (apps+updates) and I ran CCleaner but it didn't solve it. Still in the 90's.

Now I clean installed Windows 10 again. I am trying to run benchmark after anything new I install and am avoiding Windows updates. I would like to know what causes this.

Can anybody help?
Thanks.

PS: Yes, I restarted my pc several times in the process like after uninstalling apps and updates etc. And I also ran benchmark many many times to find these undesired results.

Solution

After installing more apps it happened again. Same fps drop from 130 to 94. After trying all that I could think of, I went for disk defragment app.

It solved it! It was a mere case of fragmented...

jasonkaler

Distinguished
It sounds like somewhere along the line you're installing something that's running in the background, using cpu.

What I do to see what it is, is go to windows task manager
got to the view menu, select columns, turn on "CPU Time"
This gives you a total each app uses your cpu
You can sort by that column to see the biggest offenders.

It might be something like windows telemetry reporter (or something similar) - you can just "end task" that.
Otherwise things like skype or app updaters might be updating or checking stuff in the background.

ashish18

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Before I reinstalled Windows 10 again, I uninstalled every app and updates except for gpu drivers and it still couldn't get me my rig's true performance back. I did keep my eyes on processes that were running through task manager. It is as if once this problem occurs, it does't go away.

But right, I can look for processes that consume the most CPU while game is running. That could be a useful tip.

Currently its running fine after the fresh install. I will monitor it for a week then report back if I find the culprit.

ashish18

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

After installing more apps it happened again. Same fps drop from 130 to 94. After trying all that I could think of, I went for disk defragment app.

It solved it! It was a mere case of fragmented partition (C: Windows drive). Just 8% of fragmented disk can cause that problem and I was amazed to witness that.

Windows had always kept it scheduled for weekly run so I never bothered with it before.
(Its a little embarrassing given how basic the problem turned out to be.)

Thanks.

Solution