Question Game performing worse after adding additional RAM.

Knucklez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
Hey Guys,

I've recently added some extra ram. I went from having just:
Corsair CMK8GX4M2B3000C15R Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C15 XMP 2.0

To having that plus:
Corsair CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

I've put the two 16GB slots into the first two slots, and moved the two 4GB into the last two slots. The motherboard I'm using is ASUS Z170 pro gaming.

I've been playing Star Wars Fallen Jedi, and realized that since adding RAM, the game is now really choppy. Could this be some sort of compatibility issue between the ram? I'm not too sure about the whole 'C15' and 'C16' in the name, but I've kept the same speed at 3000Mhz and went for basically the same brand, just larger sticks.

Could it be that I haven't changed certain settings on the system? It is recognizing that I have 24GB of RAM, and there doesn't seem to be any faults with the RAM itself (ran windows memory diagnostic tool).

Any help would be appreciated.

Knucklez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply, I've actually looked into the manual, but I'm pretty new to all of this, so struggled to grasp the meaning of the config. Does this mean I should place the two 4GBs in A1 & A2, and 8GBs in B1 & B2?

I suspect it isn't optimal.

Two issues I see from the set up as far as I can tell.

1. Mismatched latencies of the two sets of RAM. At best this will mean it will run at the lower specced one.

2. Two different sets of RAM. Which weren't factory tested for compatibility with each other; those that are are sold as kits.

Honestly, if you remove the new RAM it should return to normal. At the moment it seems like it's doing more (performance) harm than good.

Knucklez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
A2 ......B2..........Put 8x2

A1.......B1.........Put 4x2

Tried doing this, but PC doesn't boot.
I suspect it isn't optimal.

Two issues I see from the set up as far as I can tell.

1. Mismatched latencies of the two sets of RAM. At best this will mean it will run at the lower specced one.

2. Two different sets of RAM. Which weren't factory tested for compatibility with each other; those that are are sold as kits.

Honestly, if you remove the new RAM it should return to normal. At the moment it seems like it's doing more (performance) harm than good.

Would it be best to take out the 2x4gb, and only use the new RAM? That way I still get an upgrade, and it should work fine right?

Tried doing this, but PC doesn't boot.

Would it be best to take out the 2x4gb, and only use the new RAM? That way I still get an upgrade, and it should work fine right?
Channel A is Black and channel B is Gray. Install the 8GB modules in the Gray slots and the 4GB modules in the Black slots. If you installed it correctly it should be |A1 4GB|A2 8GB|B1 4GB|B2 8GB|. Both kits together should be using the timings of the CL16 kit which needs to be manually set in the memory settings menu to 16-20-20-38 and voltage set to 1.35. Leave the rest of the memory settings on auto.

Knucklez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
Channel A is Black and channel B is Gray. Install the 8GB modules in the Gray slots and the 4GB modules in the Black slots. If you installed it correctly it should be |A1 4GB|A2 8GB|B1 4GB|B2 8GB|. Both kits together should be using the timings of the CL16 kit which needs to be manually set in the memory settings menu to 16-20-20-38 and voltage set to 1.35. Leave the rest of the memory settings on auto.

Thanks for this. I've tried to put the RAM into those slots, but the PC doesn't boot at that point. The only time I've had it boot with all slots was when I've inserted 2x8gb into the first two slots, and 2x4gb into the next two, which of course isn't the correct way. Any idea why it doesn't boot with the correct order?

Thanks for this. I've tried to put the RAM into those slots, but the PC doesn't boot at that point. The only time I've had it boot with all slots was when I've inserted 2x8gb into the first two slots, and 2x4gb into the next two, which of course isn't the correct way. Any idea why it doesn't boot with the correct order?
What happens when you insert only the 2x8GB kit into A2/B2? What configuration did you have with the 2x4GB kit before trying to add the 2x8GB? When adding or removing memory, does the system ask for you to enter the BIOS because of hardware or memory changes?

Knucklez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
What happens when you insert only the 2x8GB kit into A2/B2? What configuration did you have with the 2x4GB kit before trying to add the 2x8GB? When adding or removing memory, does the system ask for you to enter the BIOS because of hardware or memory changes?

I've had the 2x4GB in A2/B2. Now I've taken those out and put the 2x8GB into A2/B2. Boots fine, no forcing into BIOS. I haven't tested game performance yet.

TRENDING THREADS