[SOLVED] Game randomly stops receiving mouse/keyb input since upgrading to an RTX 3080 TI

Jul 3, 2022
Hello everyone,

As the title says, I've been experiencing random game freezes ever since I upgraded to an RTX 3080 TI (from a 1070 ti).

The nature of the freezes is odd, I can still see the game and hear audio but the game will stop responding to keyboard input, while i can generally still move my mouse (depending on the game) i can't interact with the game with the mouse either. Note that i can still alt+tab out of the game and everything else works as expected (chrome/os/discord).

So far this has happened in most games I play, especially graphically intense games like RDR2. In order to resolve the issue I have to open task manager to force close the game and re-launch the game. The issue seems to happen at random, every 1 to 4 hours.

One of my theories at the moment is that my PSU is not delivering enough power (the ASUS TUF RTX 3080 TI recommends an 850W PSU whereas i have a 750W). However what I'm experiencing doesn't seem consistent with the common symptoms of an underpowered PSU.

I'm not sure where to go from here and would really appreciate some help.

Full Specs:
  • ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC
  • i7 12700 KF
  • AGK 750W PSU
  • ASUS TUF Gaming B660M-PLUS
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

(the ASUS TUF RTX 3080 TI recommends an 850W PSU whereas i have a 750W).
You might want to source a donor PSU that has at least 850W(from a reliably built PSU) at the entire system's disposal and see if the issue persists.

The next thing I must ask is, if you uninstalled your GPU drivers prior to removing the GTX1070Ti using DDU, before you powered down and removed the older GPU in place of the new one? If not, that's one thing you should do, now, is uninstall your drivers, then source the latest from Nvidia's support site, then manually install the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, assuming you're working with Windows OS.

Lutfij

Titan

You might want to source a donor PSU that has at least 850W(from a reliably built PSU) at the entire system's disposal and see if the issue persists.

The next thing I must ask is, if you uninstalled your GPU drivers prior to removing the GTX1070Ti using DDU, before you powered down and removed the older GPU in place of the new one? If not, that's one thing you should do, now, is uninstall your drivers, then source the latest from Nvidia's support site, then manually install the driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, assuming you're working with Windows OS.

Solution
Jul 3, 2022

Thanks for the heads up on using DDU and manually installing drivers. Just did this, hoping it will resolve the isse.

Thanks for the response.

I uninstalled my GPU drivers using DDU, then proceeded to install RTX 3080Ti drivers manually. Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem.

I suppose my next step here is to acquire a new PSU (850W +)

Jul 3, 2022

For posterity, upgrading to an 850W PSU fixed the problem!

Reactions: Lutfij