[SOLVED] Game stuttering and weird buzzing coming from my pc (GPU I guess)

Mar 21, 2019
My PC
MoBo Asusz87
GPU Nvidia gtx 770 2Gb vram
intel core i5 4670k
16Gb Ram DDR3
PSU Corsair 850W

I assmebled my pc in 2014 if I'm not wrong and I've never had problems for the first 3/4 years but since a lot of time I'm getting random stuttering with huge fps drops in every game. I struggled to find any correlation with everything that I checked, of course I tried to reinstall Windows. The very interesting fact is that every time my pc starts stuttering I can hear a buzzing coming from my GPU (I think) that goes at the exact same frequency as in game FPS. (Like 20FPS 20Hz buzzing). I'm really desperate to find a solution, next year I'm moving to attend college and so I don't really wanna buy a new desktop PC :oops:.

Solution
My advice, start looking for a new graphics card. Sounds to me like you've either developed a bad case of coil whine, which is obviously not going to still be covered under warranty since that card is long past it's warranty period or you might have a failing capacitor on the PCB. There is always a chance that it could be cooling/fan related, so if you can isolate the noise (Hard to do in such a small area, but maybe visually you can see something with the cooling or lightly press on the frame of the cooling bracket to see if the noise goes away) you might be able to identify the problem exactly.

Given the age of the graphics cards generation, it would not be surprising to find that it does have a squealing or buzzing cap OR that...
My advice, start looking for a new graphics card. Sounds to me like you've either developed a bad case of coil whine, which is obviously not going to still be covered under warranty since that card is long past it's warranty period or you might have a failing capacitor on the PCB. There is always a chance that it could be cooling/fan related, so if you can isolate the noise (Hard to do in such a small area, but maybe visually you can see something with the cooling or lightly press on the frame of the cooling bracket to see if the noise goes away) you might be able to identify the problem exactly.

Given the age of the graphics cards generation, it would not be surprising to find that it does have a squealing or buzzing cap OR that something that was once glued to keep it still has broken free of the adhesive and is now moving. Either are possible, as are cooling issues.

Reactions: Roch766
Solution
Mar 21, 2019
I listened carefully and I can with a good amount of certainty that the buzzing comes from the GPU, I also wanted to clarify that I can hear it only when running games and that it gets louder and more intense when more complex scenes are showed on screen (and it doesn't seem like it ha anything to do with moving parts or fans scratching). I'm thinking of buying a new GPU, I'll probably go for a 1660Ti 6Gb...

Mar 21, 2019
I listened carefully and I can with a good amount of certainty that the buzzing comes from the GPU, I also wanted to clarify that I can hear it only when running games and that it gets louder and more intense when more complex scenes are showed on screen (and it doesn't seem like it ha anything to do with moving parts or fans scratching). I'm thinking of buying a new GPU, I'll probably go for a 1660Ti 6Gb...
And of course thank you for your professional answer!

It might be worth your time, if you know somebody else with a desktop that is willing to let you do it, to try installing it on another system and see if the problem repeats on that system or not. Or try another graphics card in your system. I'm with you on the fact that it's almost certainly just the age of your card, but those are additional options if you want a little more verification before spending on a new card. Might honestly be a good idea anyhow, a new card, as that one is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Reactions: Roch766