Question Game stuttering while on ethernet

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I just recently was able to direct connect with an ethernet cord to my PC instead of wifi but for some reason I noticed weird stutter lag when gaming. I thought it was something to do with my gpu or video settings but when I just switched back to a wifi connection it seemed to almost go away completely.

Would there be any reason why this would happen? I just had my ISP come out and upgrade my internet and they told me everything seemed to be working fine. I'm getting good speeds with my speed test as well. I'm just not sure what would be causing me to get lag while on ethernet compared to wifi.

Games need very little bandwidth so it is not likely a capacity issue.

Leave a constant ping run to your router ip in a background cmd window while you play the game. When the game show issues switch over and check if there is anything different. In general on ethernet you see all ping as 1ms or so. Packet loss or sometime large delays indicate a bad cable.

Check to be sure any of the so called "gaming accelerators" are disable on your machine. These come bundled with many motherboards...in particular killer networks has many issues. You many times must replace the drivers with ones that have all the killer features removed.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
How long is your cable and what quality? Try reinstalling ethernet drivers from your motherboard's website.

It's a short cable, my modem/router are literally right next to my PC. I'm not sure the quality of my ethernet cord, my isp provided it. Would it be better to get a new and better ethernet cord that connects from my router to my pc?

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Games need very little bandwidth so it is not likely a capacity issue.

Leave a constant ping run to your router ip in a background cmd window while you play the game. When the game show issues switch over and check if there is anything different. In general on ethernet you see all ping as 1ms or so. Packet loss or sometime large delays indicate a bad cable.

Check to be sure any of the so called "gaming accelerators" are disable on your machine. These come bundled with many motherboards...in particular killer networks has many issues. You many times must replace the drivers with ones that have all the killer features removed.

How do I check it any gaming accelerators are enabled on my PC?

Go to the site for your motherboard and look at the main page and see if they talk about it. They tend to try to make a big deal. If you see nothing then you likely do not have it.

The simplest things to try first is a new ethernet cable. You want a cat5e cable that is pure copper with wire size between 22 and 24. This generally is marked on the side of the cable. You can get cat6 if it cheaper but you need no better than cat5e for gigabit ports. Key here is do not buy CCA cable or the thin or flat stuff. Any cable that has no markings should also be avoided.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Go to the site for your motherboard and look at the main page and see if they talk about it. They tend to try to make a big deal. If you see nothing then you likely do not have it.

The simplest things to try first is a new ethernet cable. You want a cat5e cable that is pure copper with wire size between 22 and 24. This generally is marked on the side of the cable. You can get cat6 if it cheaper but you need no better than cat5e for gigabit ports. Key here is do not buy CCA cable or the thin or flat stuff. Any cable that has no markings should also be avoided.

The wire I have now says it's a cat 5e utp 26 awg 4prs. So I should prob get a wire with a little bit bigger gauge than

It all depends how long the cable is. The reason you see 22-24 is that works at the full 100 meter length. 26 guage I forget what the actual limit is it is one of those allowed exceptions to the rule when it is used as a patch cable directly between 2 devices...like your router and pc.

It is much more likely your problem is one of the ends is slightly loose so that as the copper warms it moves and disconnects at times. It seldom is the wire itself BUT it is a huge pain to put ends on even when you have all the tools and lots of practice. Just simpler to spend the $5 for a new cable.

Maybe before you do this you test to prove you have a issue. Run a constant ping command to the router in a cmd window in the background while you run the game. When you see issues in the game quickly switch over and see if the ping is getting delays and/or packet loss.

If it is not then the problem is likely something other than a true network problem like a bad cable or driver.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
So what would I exactly type in the command prompt to run a constant ping and where do I find my ip address to do that? I've looked in my network settings and I see a lot of different ip numbers.
It all depends how long the cable is. The reason you see 22-24 is that works at the full 100 meter length. 26 guage I forget what the actual limit is it is one of those allowed exceptions to the rule when it is used as a patch cable directly between 2 devices...like your router and pc.

It is much more likely your problem is one of the ends is slightly loose so that as the copper warms it moves and disconnects at times. It seldom is the wire itself BUT it is a huge pain to put ends on even when you have all the tools and lots of practice. Just simpler to spend the $5 for a new cable.

Maybe before you do this you test to prove you have a issue. Run a constant ping command to the router in a cmd window in the background while you run the game. When you see issues in the game quickly switch over and see if the ping is getting delays and/or packet loss.

If it is not then the problem is likely something other than a true network problem like a bad cable or driver.

So what would I exactly type in the command prompt to run a constant ping and where do I find my ip address to do that? I've looked in my network settings and I see a lot of different ip numbers.

TRENDING THREADS