Mar 21, 2010
Specs:
i7 950
GTX 275 Superclocked x2 SLI
WD 150GB Velociraptor
Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler
OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV6GK) DDR3 PC3-12800 Gold 6GB
EVGA X58 SLI
Thermaltake Toughpower VGA Power Express 650W (Video Cards)
Mushkin (550150) XP-650AP 650W ATX Enhanced
Windows 7 Prof. (all updates)

drivers are up to date (258.96)

This PC is relatively new and every game I try stutters/lags. During GPU tests such as OCCT and vantage the stuttering is visible as well. The sound does not stutter along with the video. I have tested/swapped out my harddrive and the stuttering persists, along with removing the second video card and running one card separately instead of in SLI. I also ran memtest and CPU stress test for 10 hours each, no errors. Games such as Titan Quest, BF:BC2, Crysis and AvP, Brothers in Arms experience heavy stuttering. Stuttering persists after fresh Windows 7 install. Cards run at ~70 degrees under heavy load. Any thoughts/ideas I can try?

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Due to you running SLI Video Cards make sure your system has enough power feeding the cards or you have slow frames rates due to the card underclockinh if you can't meet the wattage needs. I'm think 750Watts-850Watts! Secondly what resolution your runninga t with settings do you lag at 1680x1050 or at 1920x1080 or 2560x1580?

he said he has tried 1 card by itself, so you can rule out sli issues. I would still question using the 2 different power supplies. Did you try using just 1 psu and 1 gfx card??? Try each PSU and GFX card separately incase one is faulty. Have you got some sort of antivirus running?? If you have a spare HDD try a complete clean install with bare minimum software installed to test if it is software related. Try run the RAM in single channel mode, maybe faulty motherboard. Run RAM at lower than rated speed.. Check display driver settings. Check V Sync settings. Change the amount of pre-rendered frames. Disable cores on the CPU. Update motherboard BIOS. I think its just going to be a big process of elimination. Try one thing at a time and do the easiest things first.

Well, you said it happens after a fresh install, so it probably isn't background crap, UNLESS you have a faulty device and Windows keeps trying to communicate with it, resulting in timeout lags. Look for exclamation points and/or red 'X'-es in Device Manager. You've also tried a single card, so power seems unlikely; but try that single card with only one PSU in the system just to be sure.
Any chance it's heat? Does it matter what the eye-candy settings are? Try underclocking both cards (a good bit if necessary) and test that way. When you test a single card, try the same card in each of your PCIE slots.