[SOLVED] Game stutters when using wifi extender

Autocon487

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017
I bought an extender to reduce the distance from my router.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L4BMD34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was able to access and its working as intended, but when I play overwatch, my teammates and enemy's character models are stuttering for a split second. Meanwhile my fps is working well and no high ping. I have tested other games of this issue but I go nothing in other games, just overwatch.

PC Specs:
CPU:Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2070 Super
RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3000mhz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x470-f gaming
PSU: Corsair RMX RM650x

Solution
Not sure why it would affect overwatch more but this problem is extremely common with Wifi. Interference in the signal causes lag spikes.

When you use a extender/repeater you double your chance of problems. You have 2 wifi signals the one between the router and the repeater and the second between the repeater and your PC. Either can get interference from neighbors signals. The design of most repeaters actually will cause interference between the 2 signals themselves.

Running games on wifi is very unpredictable and running it on repeaters is even worse. You might actually get better wifi results directly connecting to the router even though the signal is weak.

If the problem persists you might want to consider powerline...
Could be packet loss.

Test it by hitting WindowsKey+R to open Run menu-->type cmd hit enter-->in the cmd prompt type ipconfig hit enter-->look for the ip numbers next to default gateway-->type: ping (insert gateway IP Numbers here without parentheses) -n 25 and hit enter.

for example the command should look something like this, the numbers will be differnt: ping 192.168.*.1 -n 25

This will ping you router 25 times and give you a packet loss %

Not sure why it would affect overwatch more but this problem is extremely common with Wifi. Interference in the signal causes lag spikes.

When you use a extender/repeater you double your chance of problems. You have 2 wifi signals the one between the router and the repeater and the second between the repeater and your PC. Either can get interference from neighbors signals. The design of most repeaters actually will cause interference between the 2 signals themselves.

Running games on wifi is very unpredictable and running it on repeaters is even worse. You might actually get better wifi results directly connecting to the router even though the signal is weak.

If the problem persists you might want to consider powerline networks rather than wifi for games.

Solution

Autocon487

Reputable
Aug 9, 2017
Could be packet loss.

Test it by hitting WindowsKey+R to open Run menu-->type cmd hit enter-->in the cmd prompt type ipconfig hit enter-->look for the ip numbers next to default gateway-->type: ping (insert gateway IP Numbers here without parentheses) -n 25 and hit enter.

for example the command should look something like this, the numbers will be differnt: ping 192.168.*.1 -n 25

This will ping you router 25 times and give you a packet loss %

I tested it, I got no packet loss, but the stuttering is still there