[SOLVED] Game suddenly has FPS issues, some games worse than others, I cannot find out why.

Nov 8, 2021
I've been going around trying to find a solution for my problem but I can't find anything. I'm afraid my processor is maybe failing? But before I want to spend that much money on replacing the processor I want to be kind of sure about it. Underneath a comprehensive explanation:

So at first the issue came up with BDO, I booted the game after a patch and suddenly the game would drop to 20 FPS when clicking start game. When I went in game the FPS even sometimes dropped down to 1. I tried to resolve the issue with BDO support, because my other games weren't showing this issue at all. However, when I started Cities: Skylines the FPS/stuttering was horrible to look at as well. I started testing other games like Monster Hunter World. While that runs okay, the FPS isn't what it used to be as well. Somehow most, if not all, games are taking changing degrees of FPS hits. BDO is the absolute worst, being unplayable, games like Genshin Impact or Outriders (xbox game pass version) run fine and playable with only sometimes a very small FPS drop. Outriders even ran comletely fine 60 FPS. If it was my PC I would figure all games would run horribly. I haven't changed anything different to my PC. I tried testing my storages and GPU and did all the usual stuff that Support asks you to do.
  • Windows 10 Home 64 bit, version 20H2
  • TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING, Rev X.0x (BIOS version American Megatrends inc. 2411 SMbios 3.2) about 2 years old.
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHZ (not overclocked) about 3-4 years old.
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200 C16 bought new a few months ago.
  • KINGSTON SUV500480G SSD 500GB boot drive about 2 years old
  • ST1000DM010-2EP102 1TB, WD Elements 25A3 USB Device 4TB storage drives both about 1-2 years old
  • Corsair CX 550 (550W 80+ bronze) about 4 years old.
  • NVIDIA Geforce 1060 6GB, latest drivers. about 4 years old.
some of the things I tried:
  • scanning all files and verifying integrity all files
  • restoring steam
  • messing around with steam/game options
  • frag/scan my drives
  • install games on different drives
  • replace my GPU by a different one
  • internal windows RAM test
  • reinstalling games (including deleting files)
  • checking tempratures (just normal tempratures)

Does anyone have an idea what could cause the issue and how to fix it/pin down the issue. I wouldn't know why some games are unbothered, others are unplayable and others inbetween across different storages. If I need to provide any extra information, tests or documents I'd be glad to do so ofcourse. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, version 20H2
Ideally you should be on version 21H1 for your OS, meaning you're pending an update.

TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING, Rev X.0x (BIOS version American Megatrends inc. 2411 SMbios 3.2) about 2 years old.
You have 5 BIOS updates pending update...excluding the Beta BIOS ofc. Also, gradually work your way to the latest BIOS version as opposed to jumping to the latest BIOS version, which is 3202.

You might want to download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall all remnants of your GPU drivers. Reboot to Safe...

Lutfij

Titan

Ideally you should be on version 21H1 for your OS, meaning you're pending an update.

TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING, Rev X.0x (BIOS version American Megatrends inc. 2411 SMbios 3.2) about 2 years old.
You have 5 BIOS updates pending update...excluding the Beta BIOS ofc. Also, gradually work your way to the latest BIOS version as opposed to jumping to the latest BIOS version, which is 3202.

You might want to download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall all remnants of your GPU drivers. Reboot to Safe Mode, then manually install the previously downloaded GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that helps bring your frames back up.

Corsair CX 550 (550W 80+ bronze) about 4 years old.
That's probably something you should try and replace sooner than later.

Solution
Nov 8, 2021

You might want to download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall all remnants of your GPU drivers. Reboot to Safe Mode, then manually install the previously downloaded GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that helps bring your frames back up.

Corsair CX 550 (550W 80+ bronze) about 4 years old.
That's probably something you should try and replace sooner than later.

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate all the help I can get.

I didn't realise about the 21H1 version and now I see I missed the huge letters stating the update for the version. Sorry :(

I also never bothered to update BIOS because I was told it was a frustrating process but I found it rather easy in hindsight.

Sadly the issue still persists.

Do you think it's my PSU tanking my PC? When my friends had PSU issues their PC would turn off, crash or not turn on so I thought the issue was more with my processor or motherboard. I figured maybe Windows because it differs so much from game to game. But if the PSU is the most likely culprit then I'll have a look at replacing it.