[SOLVED] Game suddenly starts lagging

Aug 2, 2020
Hi everyone, I have been playing COD Warzone for a couple of weeks, usually getting around 50-70 fps on medium graphics and suddenly the game starts lagging to a point of it being unplayable. I have also seen that playing CS GO frames have dropped from 160-190 to around 110 on avg. I have checked with MSI afterburner GPU temps are around 60oC and CPU temps around 85oC. When playing Warzone the GPU and CPU utilization is around 90-100%. The laptop is around 2 months old. I have a good antivirus program so I don't think its malware. have been getting allot of stuck pixels when the monitor wakes up after sleep-mode but this usually disappears the moment I minimise the app. THE QUESTION: Why do you think suddenly games have FPS drops and Warzone is not even playable anymore. Is it necessary to return the laptop or is there an easy fix ?

Setup:
Lenovo legion y540
9th gen i5 CPU
Gtx 1650 with 4gb VRAM
8Gb Ram

Solution
I have not cleaned it out, I don't think the laptop could not have picked up that much dust in the two months I had it, but ill check tomorrow and give it a good clean if necessary.

The Processor is Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-9300H CPU @2.40GGz (8 CPUs), 2.4GHz.

I checked when playing games the CPU's avg temp runs around 80-90 degrees celsius.

tjunction for that processor is 100c so 90c is quite a spicy temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if your processor is indeed throttling its speed.

If you had a desktop I'd say 2 months of dust build up may not be all that much. But a laptop is a much smaller, more enclosed space, they get clogged up with dust much quicker than a desktop.

I'd recommend blowing it out at least once a month...

Furzumz

Reputable
I probably won't be of much use here but there's at least one thing I can think of to check. I'm wondering if your CPU is possibly running too hot and is throttling its speed as a response.

Have you cleaned the laptop out with some compressed air ever since you bought it?

Also do you know what exact processor you have? If not, assuming you're running windows you can click the little magnifying glass in the lower left corner of the screen (there might also be a search box there) and type dxdiag into the search field and press enter.

This should bring up some basic system information. Look for where it says "Processor" and tell us what it says there, this way I can check your processors operating temperature range

Aug 2, 2020
I have not cleaned it out, I don't think the laptop could not have picked up that much dust in the two months I had it, but ill check tomorrow and give it a good clean if necessary.

I checked when playing games the CPU's avg temp runs around 80-90 degrees celsius.

Furzumz

Reputable

tjunction for that processor is 100c so 90c is quite a spicy temperature. I wouldn't be surprised if your processor is indeed throttling its speed.

If you had a desktop I'd say 2 months of dust build up may not be all that much. But a laptop is a much smaller, more enclosed space, they get clogged up with dust much quicker than a desktop.

I'd recommend blowing it out at least once a month

I don't know for sure if this will fix it but its certainly worth a shot. My friend had a similar problem a couple years ago, his processor was throttling itself something fierce until I made him clean the dust out of his laptop

Solution