Question Game traffic routing

Mar 26, 2024
I have a ping problem in Valorant. My ping on valorant stockholm game servers is about 110-130 when in other games its 60-70. I tried game trafficing serices like Exitlag and it works perfect, 60 ping on stockholm valorant. I have VPS server in stockholm, can I route my traffic through it same as exitlag? I tried VPN protocols like IKEv2, Wireguard, OpenVPN etc but lowest ping i can reach is only ~80. Can it be better using other tunnel protocols?

This is a impossible question to even guess. The way your ISP connects to other ISP is different. Other than people living very close to you even people in a different part of your city might follow a different path.

It all depends on of the path to the data center you have a vpn server is different than the path that goes to the game company.

VPN companies like exitlag are a bit different than a standard vpn company. In many cases they have colocated their data centers in the same buildings that are being used by game companies. This is why not all game benefit. In addition this type of vpn provider has purchaced a engineered path between their data centers. They pay to get the path with the lowest latency and a guarentee of bandwidth. This tend to be why companies like exitlag cost a bit more than a generic vpn.

Reactions: lantis3
Mar 26, 2024
This is a impossible question to even guess. The way your ISP connects to other ISP is different. Other than people living very close to you even people in a different part of your city might follow a different path.

It all depends on of the path to the data center you have a vpn server is different than the path that goes to the game company.

VPN companies like exitlag are a bit different than a standard vpn company. In many cases they have colocated their data centers in the same buildings that are being used by game companies. This is why not all game benefit. In addition this type of vpn provider has purchaced a engineered path between their data centers. They pay to get the path with the lowest latency and a guarentee of bandwidth. This tend to be why companies like exitlag cost a bit more than a generic vpn.
I got same ping to Exitlag servers as to my VPS server, the problem that it is additional ~20ms after my VPN and only ~+5-10ms after Exitlag servers. They say that their program does not work exactly like a VPN. So I guess they are just using a faster tunnel protocol to transfer data

I guess you could try it with no encryption. There is still overhead wrapping the data in a second layer of ip headers but it should be much less than than the cpu needed to encrypt. With simple ping packets it should not be much it is more as load increases.
In general a vpn should always increase your time there is more equipment to pass.

10ms extra makes no difference. In general even 100ms extra would not make a huge difference. What is key is the latency is consistent. Most games,espeically multiplayer shooters, introduce artificial delays so that a person that live very near the data center does not have a advantage.

The only reason you would use a vpn is if you get very large spikes in the latency. Things like exitlag is more used for people that have a crap ISP and do not have good paths to the game data centers. Mostly this is in asia where some ISP do not buy capacity on the most direct undersea fibers.