Game Trailers

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

Hi,

Game trailers - movies made with the game's engine, heavily edited with
cinematographic effects and surround sound have in the past couple of
years been used as an ideal pr tool to "wet the appetite" of potential
customers, acting as a kind of sneak preview.

These trailers are often *very* professionally made, but they don't
come cheaply so that's a no-no for wargames - right ?

Well, as is often the case : I disagree - or to be more precise :
there's a workaround.

Screen recording software. The idea is to record the on-screen action,
then use a simple video-editing tool to add a voice-over commentary. It
needn't be more complicated than this mockup :

<voice> let's scroll through the list of available scenario's ==>
gamer gets to see what scenario's there are.
<voice> we'll select this one and load it ==> gamer gets to see that
it loads quickly :)
<voice> ok, let's check out the our units & victory locations ==> map
view + unit views
<voice> now, let's order this panzer unit to advance ... etc.

It could even double as a tutorial - I dare anyone who has clicked
through the GGWaW tutorials to prove that these are more usefull (or
fun) than a game recording of GG himself playing & commenting. And it
would have been cheaper to produce as well.

What are the downsides ?

My biggest fear is that developers will jump on this idea and stop
making demo's :)

Bandwidth costs ? prices are dropping fast, but you don't even have to
upgrade your own company webserver/leased lines as you can outsource
the bandwidth/download. Also, dare I mention BitTorrent in here ? -
seems a pretty legitimate use of this software for this purpose.

Ok, over to you guys - is there some merit to this idea or is it
totally ridiculous ? what have I overlooked ? If it is such a good
idea, why aren't all wargame companies not already doing this ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

P.S. a good source of trailers is :
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/gamershell/movie/
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

Eddy,

Does this mean then you are volunteering to do a "movie" tutorial for
COTA? ;)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

Arjuna wrote:
> Eddy,
>
> Does this mean then you are volunteering to do a "movie" tutorial for
> COTA? ;)

What ? and let everyone in on the fact that I'm such a lousy tactician
:)

For the people in here : I posted about this some months ago in the
COTA forum, even provided freeware screen-capture software and a short
tutorial on how to use it, but no-one took the bait.

Ok - I'll have a look into it - no promises.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

Thanks Eddy...and remember that because it's important not to pitch the
level of the tutorial too high your tactical abilities should be just
perfect. ;)) ( Sorry I couldn't resist Eddy. ) :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

Arjuna wrote:
> Thanks Eddy...and remember that because it's important not to pitch
the
> level of the tutorial too high your tactical abilities should be just
> perfect. ;)) ( Sorry I couldn't resist Eddy. ) :)

Oh, so you think people could actually learn something from my
psycho-banzai tactics :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx