GAME UK Customers Name Nintendo Wii Best Console Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think if they surveyed a larger group of people the results would have likely differed. Still I am not entirely surprised at the Wii doing well because the appeal it has to casual gamers and families and not to mention those lovable Nintendo characters we can never stop loving.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Stimpack[/nom]Yeah, you know, because this makes sense.[/citation]

When you figure in the factors that caused this is actually does make perfect sense. The Wii sold very well more than the 360 and PS3. What this means is there are more homes with just a Wii than the consoles.

PS3 - 70 million
360 - 76 million
Wii -100 million

This will create a natural bias in a survey to some degree when it comes that generation of consoles.
Much like how the NES easily would beat the Sega Master System in a survey simply because there is a much higher chance that a person owned a NES and not a Master System or both. While the Master System would still likely lose it would score much better if the survey only focused on owners of both.

Then we need to figure that the age of those surveyed is going to vary. Obviously the chances of someone selecting a console that is older than them is unlikely. While the older gamers will have played on more consoles in their lifetime and have a larger list to choose from with many fond memories of older consoles.

Then the last factor is that there are people who will genuinely prefer the Wii over the rest even if they have experienced a wide range of consoles. This is bound to add a few additional percentage behind the Wii.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
The fact that 34% of people think that the current generation are even in the top 3 should immediately spell an issue with the survey. What Nintendo Wii game was even popular this generation? Has there been even a handful of games that have given hours and hours of gameplay? Then there is the PS3/Xbox360... we have maybe a handful of games for each of those (and many of those are sequels to games from the PSX/PS2/Xbox). The fact that the original Nintendo didnt break the top 10 is ridiculous, or even the Gamecube. How did the Genesis beat out the original Nintendo (and by such a huge margin)?

G

Sadly there is no vote for PC gaming. Probably only like 5 people have a gaming PC there anyway. Consoles lol.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Very likely the survey group was completely skewed...the fact not only the winner, but the top three was the most modern systems (well, except WiiU) is a sign of it.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i wouldnt put the Wii anywhere near the top. from day 1, that console had its set of major limitations that set it way apart from the competition. even though the motion controls were new and sparked lots of innovations and copycats, it was not well done. nintendo had to create an attachment to the wiimote in order for the motion controls to work correctly. and the lack of buttons and the requirement/non-requirement of nunchucks in games was frustrating. the graphics power of the console also limited it dramatically in what could be done with the motion controls.

there was nothing special about the other consoles, except for maybe the ps3 which had features like the sixaxis controlller and bluray player. but other than that, they were straightforward in their gaming appoach. Id personally put the ps2 or the snes up top for their amazing catalog of games.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
As usual TG readers have a narrow minded view of the world. No one ever said the survey was conducted solely among hardcore gamers. It was conducted with game customers.

Of those customers, a fraction will be casual console players. They probably voted Wii because it's the only one they know. The win margin was nothing enormous, it was only the highest. Young heavy gamers likely went with PS3/360 whereas old schoolers voted for one of the various older systems. This survey is a view of ALL game customers, NOT "super heavy l33t" game customers.

Get over it.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]When you figure in the factors that caused this is actually does make perfect sense. The Wii sold very well more than the 360 and PS3. What this means is there are more homes with just a Wii than the consoles.PS3 - 70 million360 - 76 million Wii -100 millionThis will create a natural bias in a survey to some degree when it comes that generation of consoles. Much like how the NES easily would beat the Sega Master System in a survey simply because there is a much higher chance that a person owned a NES and not a Master System or both. While the Master System would still likely lose it would score much better if the survey only focused on owners of both.Then we need to figure that the age of those surveyed is going to vary. Obviously the chances of someone selecting a console that is older than them is unlikely. While the older gamers will have played on more consoles in their lifetime and have a larger list to choose from with many fond memories of older consoles.Then the last factor is that there are people who will genuinely prefer the Wii over the rest even if they have experienced a wide range of consoles. This is bound to add a few additional percentage behind the Wii.[/citation]

Yeah, I own one and I know the figures. I also realize the demographic that they aim for. I also know the content that they have for the Wii, and it's miserable for kids and adults alike. There are some decent games, but they are few and far between. I would be willing to bet that despite the large number of sales, a high number of those consoles are sitting and collecting dust or used mainly as a media device. Let's not forget that they're cheap, and there are a lot of parents and grandparents out there.

My real point being that the term "best" is what we really have to focus on. What does it mean to be the best? Is it to have the most sales? Also the PS2 came in fourth in a survey about every console ever made, so give me a break.

mmarrero

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I'd say most revolutionary was the PSX, PCs weren't anywhere as good (until Voodoo 1). Arcades were better (Ridge Racer, Daytona) but using incredibly expensive hardware (used many FPUs or DSPs).

Wiimotes weren't revolutionary, Dreamcast was first, with Samba de Amigo maraca controllers. Ironically the Wii port shows how mediocre are the original wiimotes, that's why Nintendo later improved them with "motion plus".

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Super nintendo is the best system that has existed so far followed by ps1 then xbox 360Survey that shiat[/citation]
Agreed. Super NES was/is the best console by far. The library of Super NES games will never be matched.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador
Actually, the ps3 wins because you can play ps2/ps1 games on it.

That library is just too huge with some of the best games ever made.

Doubly so if jailbroken, cause then all snes/genesis/nes libraries are also thrown in.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]As usual TG readers have a narrow minded view of the world. No one ever said the survey was conducted solely among hardcore gamers. It was conducted with game customers.Of those customers, a fraction will be casual console players. They probably voted Wii because it's the only one they know. The win margin was nothing enormous, it was only the highest. Young heavy gamers likely went with PS3/360 whereas old schoolers voted for one of the various older systems. This survey is a view of ALL game customers, NOT "super heavy l33t" game customers. Get over it.[/citation]
the kinggraves method:
think up some random nonsense totally unsupported by data, spread cheeks, begin talking out of @ss

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]dreamcast? really? that was possibly the worst console ever.[/citation]
You dont know much about the dreamcast. Dreamcast was way ahead of its time and had some great games, but it did die early because sega had no console hardware reputation anymore. Easily one of the top 10 consoles and couldve been the top if it had more developer support.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]You dont know much about the dreamcast. Dreamcast was way ahead of its time and had some great games, but it did die early because sega had no console hardware reputation anymore. Easily one of the top 10 consoles and couldve been the top if it had more developer support.[/citation]

Hardware reputation? I had always thought it died due to lack of DVD playback support. Unless that's what you're talking about. Also the controller was horrid. Aside from that, it was a great console! I really liked my Dreamcast. It's still sitting somewhere in my closet.

Priox

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
And here I thought all along that you should judge a video game console by its ability to play video games. Psshhh Guess I was wrong.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]When you figure in the factors that caused this is actually does make perfect sense. The Wii sold very well more than the 360 and PS3. What this means is there are more homes with just a Wii than the consoles.PS3 - 70 million360 - 76 million Wii -100 million.[/citation]

Except PS3 / 360 users on average buy 2.5 game every year and most Wii users never buy anything on top of the original bundle.

theco0n

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
How was this console revolutionary? The NES did everything first. Motion (although wired) Power glove, Track & Field Power Pad. Light gun. Shit the thing even had 3D. Hell it even had a MODEM (Japan only)

Status
Not open for further replies.