Question Game using 95% of only 1 core - RE2 Remake

Feb 9, 2019
I'm playing RE2 remake, and I just upgraded to a 6 core Ryzen 2600, with 12 threads.

When monitoring using Afterburner, I'm seeing most of the load one one of the cores (or threads, as in this particular example it's CPU7).

Screenshot

Is this normal for a modern game? I thought the CPU usage would be spread. Someone on another forum suggested I might want to clean install windows but I'm not sure if that's required.

Any explanation would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: It seems uncapping the FPS in game and capping via Rivatuner instead seems to spread the load more evenly - unsure why core usage would be tied to in game FPS caps though?
Screenshot

Last edited:
It's not the game, it's very well optimized. It will handle graphics settings that put the estimated VRAM usage into the red, and even above your amount of VRAM and still play with no artifacts, stutter, or lag. I have seen evidence of it both in YouTube benchmarks and my own experience.

I also took the time to look at RE2 R5 2600 Afterburner benches posted on YouTube, compared to same with 8700K (which is what I use along with a 1080 SC), and It's common that one or two cores on a 2600 (probably ANY Ryzen for that matter) will be well above other cores in usage.

I also just now fired up the game with Afterburner running and my CPU usage was more even than what I saw in YouTube examples. Literally all 6 cores were either high 30s or low 40s in percentage. I'm also using in game Vsync and in game 60 framerate cap, so it's not likely those settings.

With Ryzen it helps to use at least 3200 speed RAM, as it's Infinity Fabric core interconnects are tied to RAM speed. Regardless though, the Ryzen design is far more prone to latency problems than Intel, and is lower at IPC per thread. This can cause severe FPS fluctuation in some games, or even stutter.

For the most part Ryzens handle heavy threaded situations well, but on older games, even if remade from older single threaded games, it may resort to a much higher percentage on 1 or 2 cores, vs spreading the load well. I wouldn't worry about it unless it affects performance.

It may also be due to the fact that despite being overhauled quite a bit, RE2 Remake still uses a modified version of the old RE Engine, so it still may be a bit single threaded in design (or single dominant rather) on some CPU designs.

Last edited: