[SOLVED] GameMax GP-650 80 Plus Bronze 650W

Headonastick

Reputable
Mar 23, 2020
Has anyone used one of these?
My Corsair VS 650 has developed an annoying ticking/clicking noise (which seems to be quite common after a quick search) and I'm guessing it will give up the ghost sooner or later.
The reviews I've read are all quite favourable but thought I'd ask on here first.
I've seen them on Amazon for £41 so a decent price for me at the minute.

Hey there,

The Corsair VS is not a very good PSU, and wouldn't be recommended except for budget builds. They can die within 3 years. With that said you are replacing a crappy PSU, with another one that's just as crappy.

It seems you are on a budget, so if it fits your needs, go for it. Chances are you will be replacing it soon enough like the VS.

This is a thread with one of Tom's PSU experts: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-it-a-good-psu.3522322/

Take a look, and see if you can stretch that budget a little.

Listing your system specs, will help advise of a suitable PSU, but in this day and age, you should really be plumping for a Gold rated, quality unit. It will last 7-10 years (typically) and will be made with quality parts.

I like EVGA, so there is the EVGA G2/G3, Corsair RMx/RMi/TXM, or Seasonic focus plus gold.

Reactions: Headonastick

Headonastick

Reputable
Mar 23, 2020
Had a quick look at a couple of those, way out of my price range. I bought the PC second hand so the Corsair unit was at least 2 years old. Specs are below:
i5 8400
Gigabyte Gtx 1060 3gb
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400MHz
Samsung Evo 850 250 GB
Seagate Firecuda 2Tb
Gigabyte H310m DS2
Coolermaster Masterbox Lite 5

bignastyid

Titan
The gamemax is actually worse than the VS. It's not even a 650w PSU given the 12v rail is only rated for 528w, which makes you wonder what other things they are not being truthful about.

With the market the way it currently is due to shortages caused by covid a decent 650w psu is going to be around £ 80

With your specs a decent 450w PSU would be adequate. You can get a CX450 for £ 54.99
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020120-na

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Has anyone used one of these?
My Corsair VS 650 has developed an annoying ticking/clicking noise (which seems to be quite common after a quick search) and I'm guessing it will give up the ghost sooner or later.
The reviews I've read are all quite favourable but thought I'd ask on here first.
I've seen them on Amazon for £41 so a decent price for me at the minute.

It's the old VS650 with the orange label? Not the new one with the gray label, right?

How long have you owned it? If it's in warranty, you can RMA it to Corsair and get the new version in exchange.

The Gamemax is actually a worse choice. I would look at a CV650 or CX550 instead.

Headonastick

Reputable
Mar 23, 2020
It's in a secondhand PC so I don't have the receipt and I think it has the orange label. I'll have a look at all the suggestions, might have to sneek the credit card out! Thanks.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Headonastick

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020

Headonastick

Reputable
Mar 23, 2020
Unless having a very barebone system would you need most cables anyway.
Well, it's not a barebone system, 2 HDD, 1 SSD, 10603Gb I saw another, Antec NE 650M which fits my budget and is modular, but searching on here it does seem to be frowned upon a bit. I'm gonna have to get something soon though the clicking from the Corsair is driving me mad!

TRENDING THREADS