Gameport on new computer

trekking95

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Greetings!

I was using my USB sidewinder to play a tank game and I found the silde on it wasn't very good for the turret movement. So I found an old one with a better slide but it is the 15 pin gameport style, which none of my computers have had for quite a few years. So is there a way to still use it?

Like could the old soundcards with the gameport be used? Or should I buy one of these usb converters?

I have heard there is sometimes a lag from those, is that true?

Or what other things would work?

Thanks!! :D

Gameport support is long gone, especially if you are on Windows 7. You can try the gameport to USB adapter, but you probably will not be able to get a Windows 7 driver for that joystick. Keep in mind that for the past 12 or 13 years just about every joystick to come out in that time has used USB, most gameport joysticks are from the '90s, and support for them has not been carried over to modern OSes.

If you're still running XP you probably can get a driver for that old joystick. You can try dual booting into XP if you still have a copy lying around. Otherwise, you'll probably have to look for a USB joystick that fits your needs.

trekking95

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

I think its more "plug and play" like the sidewinder. And I am still running XP, and will right to its end.

So will Windows 7 support USB joysticks still or none at all?

And what exactly is dual booting?

Also with that adapter do you think there would be a lag? And would it work with Windows 7?

Windows 7 supports USB joysticks, but there are no drivers for gameport based joysticks in Windows 7. I highly doubt your old gameport based joystick will work in Windows 7, adapter or no adapter. Since you have XP you don't have to worry about dual booting, which is having two OSes on the same computer, and choosing which one to boot into.

I don't believe the adapter would introduce too much lag, but if you can dig up an old sound card with a gameport that might be the best option for optimal performance.

For now either get the USB adapter or an old sound card with a gameport. Once you are forced to upgrade from XP though, you're probably going to have to look for a new joystick, unless you want to keep an XP install around just to keep using the old one.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I really don't think the gameport adapter needs a special driver. I think it will emulate a standard HID joystick, so the stock driver from XP or newer should just work, even in 7. Regarding lag, I have no idea.
The basic concept of the gameport is that it just has DACs, and the SW needs to poll periodically the current values. In the old days, the games themselves did this. Nowadays, it's all done by integrated DACs (like I suppose the adapter has) and the SW (driver) gets real usable values.

Scanjo

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

The sidewinder joystick is actually a SERIES of joysticks. They are not all the same so that converter MIGHT work. It should work for a 3d Pro. I have seen auctions claiming that one works for the Precision Pro. It will not work for the 3D Pro Plus or the Force Feedback Pro. For the the last 2 (it works for all 4 of these) you should read this.

http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19061