Gamer Claims to Have Made $10,000+ USD in Diablo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Well i can see how this could be true. If you look at the first few days after the RMAH came out people were buying stuff like crazy. I saw streamers make $750 in a few days selling bad to decent gear, Not even the best item drops. Part of that was the game was fairly new and the amount of crazy good gear was very low.

Out of maybe the 10-15 items that I put up on the RMAH I've made $40 after fees, none of them any good. If you play the market and dedicate your time to making money on the RMAH you could make some good money.

I'm pretty surprised at the stuff selling on the RMAH to be honest. Its one thing to go out and buy a set of golf clubs for golf, but the way game items work is you never truly own the item you're just paying the money to rent it. Not to mention when you play golf its not like you will find a better set of clubs laying on the ground that you can upgrade too =P.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I wish I enjoyed the game more to play and make some money. I did the endgame with three classes and said "To heck with it", and boxed it.

[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]hahaha...+10% tax +10% electricity bill +10% internet bills etc[/citation]
What is so funny?

All that will be added to taxes.

Including the PC+games and all the equipment with office space and portion of the electricity.

Don't u know?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if he thinks an expensive golf club set helps him play better then he really needs to learn the game....golf clubs has nothing to do with it, it's called skill

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
In the meantime, he could have been made $10,000 at a real job AND contributed to society in a meaningful way.

Trolling aside, I'm sure it takes quite a bit of chops to make that kind of cash just playing the virtual economy game, and is likely a pretty useful skill-set to build up for playing the real virtual economy game some day.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"if he thinks an expensive golf club set helps him play better then he really needs to learn the game....golf clubs has nothing to do with it, it's called skill"

So you are saying there is no difference between playing with a cheap set of 25 year old golf clubs and an expensive modern set? Essentially, anyone spending more then $20 on a set from a thrift shop is just throwing their money away?

What do the professionals use?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Reminds me of the article about how Valve hired an economist to examine their in-game economies.

How much actual time did it take him to make that $10k?

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]if he thinks an expensive golf club set helps him play better then he really needs to learn the game....golf clubs has nothing to do with it, it's called skill[/citation]

Not really--golf clubs have a profound effect on game once you get to a high level of skill--much like how any "enthusiast" object has a significant impact on your ability. Take competitive PC gaming, for example--high-end keyboards, mice, and network cards are geared toward giving the player an edge that they can't get with just average components. On the amateur level, these things are probably not noticeable, but as you increase your skills and abilities, you start to get limited by the components and not your abilities--so it all matters, it's not just skill. An expensive driver can get you more distance than a crap driver once you hit that skill level.

Same goes for running shoes if you're a competitive runner. Or racing tires and car design for competitive racers. At some point if you're good enough at something, your ability to achieve more is limited by the components you're using.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
This is nothing. People make $10,000 per month on games like Runescape by gold farming. It's been harder with all of the updates, but this is still true.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This is strange, because I have been putting a *very* good item on RMAH that's better than anything on there currently for that slot. I started at $250 max and it's now at $159, dropping by $10 at a time. It's a single neck piece that can give a hunter or monk 10k dps. I don't know how this guy is selling anything.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I think we all hate D3 for the following reasons:

a) We don't like to be exploited
b) We're used to games carrying an upfront cost of $30-$60 and that's it. We hate to incur costs that we haven't planned for.

While this guy takes a high-brow stance on the economics of the AH, the reality is that we hate the idea as casual gamers. The reason why we loved D2 so much is because there was an upfront cost of $60 that provided us months of entertainment and we knew that before buying the game.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Although the amount he made is quite low compared to a real job, I'm impressed that he managed to do it with D3. They should give him an ingame achievement for this ^_^

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]This is strange, because I have been putting a *very* good item on RMAH that's better than anything on there currently for that slot. I started at $250 max and it's now at $159, dropping by $10 at a time. It's a single neck piece that can give a hunter or monk 10k dps. I don't know how this guy is selling anything.[/citation]
I'll give you 2 million gold for it :D

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Although the amount he made is quite low compared to a real job"

What kind of real job do you mean? From the screenshot, he made at least* $2725.83 between 7/21 and 8/2. That is 13 days. If he could average that over the course of a year, it is equivalent to $76,585.34 per year. If he isn't claiming this as income [so not paying taxes, SS, FICA, etc], then it is equivalent to making $110K per year.

* I say at least since if the screenshot was taken during the day on 8/2, there might have been some additional sales on 8/2; and we don't know if there were any additional 7/21 lines that got cut off.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I've made over $8k. HOWEVER, nothing is selling anymore, I can show you my auctions with M's in gold up for days and not selling.

People aren't willing to spend cash on items unless you mark them way below the standard $0.25 per 100k.

I WAS making $2 per mil, now I'm lucky to get $0.50.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]I'll give you 2 million gold for it[/citation]
It goes for about 500 million according to the gold AH. It's the best item I've found since the game released. I've only seen one item better on RMAH.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"I've made over $8k. HOWEVER, nothing is selling anymore".

I imagine if you are doing it in place of a job, you would always be transitioning from older games to newer ones where the markets are better. And the more you are in to it, the more you'll notice when the market is dying anyways, so those people will be the first to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.