Gamer. Full upgrade? Partial?

EmilioBelial

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
How do I know when its time to upgrade my cpu ? can I get some hints

My build is from 2010, minus the graphic card. My case only has one exhaust fan and temp is an issue. I'm debating on just building a new one and get a fresh new motherboard and CPU. I just don't know if I need it.

CASE NZXT| GAMA-001BK RT
MB ASROCK M3A770DE 770+SB710 RT
PSU ANTEC|BP550 PLUS RT
CPU AMD|ATH II X4 630 AM3 RT
Stock fan

MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card

Chipset: AMD Radeon R9 270X, Engine Clock: 1030 MHzVideo Memory: 2GB GDDR5Memory Interface: 256-bitBus: PCI-Express 3.0 x16Max. Resolution: 2560 x 1600Connectors: DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort.

What kind of monitor would be most ideal as well.

Im a gamer and I'm tired of over heating loud play. 1080p 60 fps is goal. Im cool with leaving things as is, but I know certain upgrades might cause a power supply upgrade or most ideal cpu upgrade requires new motherboard.

Thanks for any help. Should I just get a new case and a good strong fan?

Solution

Calling a PSU "housefire quality" is kind of a joke among us moderators here. That's kind of a worst case scenario but at the least getting a PSU that poor, the worst thing that would happen initially would be that it fails to power on your PC. :lol:

80+ Gold minimum it is. The one you choose is actually on sale, ill just get that. Ya the Raidmax had 5 stars....but only 3 people reviewed it. I goofed.

Yeah a lot of junk gets inexplicably highly rated on sites like Newegg. It's a classic mistake to make. Definitely pay closer attention to the ratings before hitting the "buy" button. Also I'm...

Lutfij

Titan
If the system is struggling to perform the tasks which you're asking it to do, such as gaming, then that is one indication of the system showing it's age = upgrade time. Another reason to upgrade can be that you'd like a cooler running system since latter iterations of technology often bring with them lower power consumption and better instructions per clock.

Is the PSU as old as the entire system? If so then you should invest in a robust PSU that is 80+Gold rated. You also forgot to mention the ram on your system, not to mention the OS that you're running off of.

I would suggest that you get a GTX 1060, a better quality(and higher 80+ rating) PSU and a new case.

If you have the funds, you could build an entry level current gen Intel system and maintain lower power draw.

EmilioBelial

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
I have windows 7 and have 6gigs of ram. All my tasks that I ask it to do it does. But when I play certain games my CPU on speedfan is way hot and overall system. And just makes a terribly loud sound that I know bothers my friends who are listening to my mic.

I do want a cooler system. I just wonder if it's from my shit case and shit stock singular fan(one blade broken) on he back with stock heat sink. Or if it's an outdated could so it's over heating only when I play super modern games like tekken 7. But you're right about getting updated parts will help me in the long run.

Yeah I found a old budget build in 2010. So I have the same PSU as then. Ah maybe I'm not generating enough power to compensate for my new GPU or something. Maybe I'll start with the PSU then and the case.

I don't have crazy funds, I could spend a couple hundred every other week or so.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $392.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-05 09:31 EDT-0400

I would do something like this and wait for GPU prices to stabilize then upgrade that too

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($74.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M GAMING PRO Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team - Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $262.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-05 09:37 EDT-0400

Or a more budget oriented upgrade

Emilio Belial

Reputable
May 30, 2015

RAIDMAX Monster II SE ATX-A08TB Black Plastic/Steel/Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
+
Stallion Series 700-Watt Modular ATX12V SLI & CrossFire-Ready Gaming PSU Rosewill - RD700-M
=74.98

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD1600BBAEBOX Desktop Processor
+
GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD B350 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
=309.99 (the mother board went up in price)

Total= 388.96

I can't wait to build it.

Is windows 10 worth it for this build? or can I stay in windows 7?

TurtleEater0

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
How much are you willing to spend on a new upgrade? Because of the motherboard, there aren't really good cpu upgrade options, unless you go with AM4 or LGA 1151 has a lot of good options for 1080p gaming.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

Roswell is probably the worse power supply you could choose if you value your PC you will reconsider just look up professional reviews of their power supplies bunch of junk overvolted rails just terrible. Try to go with something from seasonic or termaltake or corsair. Power supply is something you don't want to cheap out on.

EmilioBelial

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Ah <removed>. Newegg was selling the case and the power supply as a bundle. Should I return it? Ya I'm reading not so good reviews on it now.

<language removed by moderator>

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah those are terrible recommendations for case and PSU. You can definitely get much better for the same or just a bit more.

EmilioBelial

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
I'm going to come back on Thursday at some point when I get paid to find a better PSU and case. What makes a case bad, I saw one that had three fans in it. Fans and space?

Emilio Belial

Reputable
May 30, 2015
Any good deals on Cases on Newegg? I'm looking at PSU's too with 80+. My main issue is fitting my mother board which is 12.0" x 9.1", and cooling. I want at least two intake fans and one exhaust. Tempered glass would be cool because the motherboard lights up, but is not necessary.

TurtleEater0

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015

I don't know about any deals, but the best cases for cheap with a tempered glass panel is either the P400 TGE or the S340 Elite, I personally own the P400 and it looks stunning, a great case. and plenty of fan mounts.

TurtleEater0

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015

Yeah that's it, for $65 I don't think you could get a better case, it also has great cable managment and comes with it's own magnetic RGB LED strip that shines the same color as the illuminated logo on the front of the case, I have the white version, which is a bit more, but fits my setup and I'm glad I got this case.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'd second this recommendation - Phanteks makes some of the best cases around. You can't go wrong with the P400S. I have an Enthoo Pro and it's great.

Emilio Belial

Reputable
May 30, 2015
It's in my cart =D, I ended up getting the black Phantek p400.

I have something called a WD My Passport Ultra external ssd. Id it possible to make that my booting main driver? Are there different types of SDD's, is mine the wrong one for booting a computer? Looking at harddrives and psu's now. I was going to use my old parts, but I might as well go new. Unless I can boot from this lil passport thing.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes that's a wise choice. Phanteks is much better than Raidmax trash. Don't use an external drive as a boot drive. You need an internal drive.

The PSU's! I don't understand anything on it. These look nice? Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-BRONZE-Warranty-Tester-100-...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H33SFJU//ref=as_li_ss_tl?&...

Do not buy either of those - they're house fire quality. You need something much better. Something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438095

g-unit1111

Titan

Calling a PSU "housefire quality" is kind of a joke among us moderators here. That's kind of a worst case scenario but at the least getting a PSU that poor, the worst thing that would happen initially would be that it fails to power on your PC. :lol:

80+ Gold minimum it is. The one you choose is actually on sale, ill just get that. Ya the Raidmax had 5 stars....but only 3 people reviewed it. I goofed.

Yeah a lot of junk gets inexplicably highly rated on sites like Newegg. It's a classic mistake to make. Definitely pay closer attention to the ratings before hitting the "buy" button. Also I'm not big on store reviews but definitely look at the highest rated positive review and the highest rated negative review for contrast.

This was was inexpensive.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16...

That's an OK drive. This would be better: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173151

Solution