Gamer graphics card for Lenovo

640Poststreet

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Hi everyone

I have bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72 3493 some time ago for my son. It has a on board Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card.

I am looking for upgrading it with a dedicated graphics card for him playing/streaming LOL.

On Lenovos homepage is listed compatible cards:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-4TP2BG

Is that really all there is for that type of computer? Will any of these be able to improve FPS? Or which one that fits would you recommend?

Budget, say 150 euro.

BR Jens
Denmark

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Where do you live and what are your system specs?

Power Supply Watts Make Model
How much Ram
Processor
Another problem you could have is clearance.
How much space do you have from the Pcie slot to the side of the case is important

640Poststreet

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Specs are:

Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72 3493 - Core i7 3770S 3.1 GHz - 4 GB - 1 TB
Small form factor (!)
1 x Intel Core i7 (3. gen) 3770S / 3.1 GHz ( 3.9 GHz ) ( Quad-Core )
4 GB (installeret) / 16 GB (maks.) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1600 MHz - PC3-12800
1 x 1 TB - SATA 3Gb/s
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (on board graphics card)
180 W PSU but can be upgraded

BR Jens

pfunkmd

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Ok Jens I hate to tell you this but you will need a new psu and a minimum of 8gb of ram. From what I can see you can install a different graphics card but we need to make sure it fits. I need to know how much space you have from your pcie slot to the side of the computer door. Another thing you may want to check is how big the mounting hole for your psu is. Another option you have is to purchase a new case but now you are way over the 200 euro mark.

Here is a really good PSU that was refurbished by the Manufacturer still has a warranty
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Corsair-GS600-80-Bronze-Gaming-Series-PC-Netzteil-600-Watt-ATX-2-3-/161198581992?pt=PC_Netzteile&hash=item25882f28e8

This is the best graphics card you can get for 150 i have two of them (trust me I looked)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Computer-PC-Grafikkarte-Powercolo-ATI-Radeon-R9-270-TD-2GB-DDR5-DX11-2-PCI-E-/261384301649?pt=DE_Elektronik_Computer_Computer_Graphikkarten&hash=item3cdbb7ec51

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

OK, first of all. Don't go pre-built again without knowing what you are doing. They trick you into thinking you are getting a good deal but then skimp out on the most important parts. You CPU is powerful enough to max out Crysis 3 with ease, but you have no GPU at all and a PSU that is slightly less efficient than a hot potato.

You will need a new PSU for sure. 180w is simply ridiculously small. The next thing is your case. Pre-builts often have horrible cases that severely limit upgradeability. You'll need to find out online or by opening up and measuring how much space you have for a GPU. If you are getting a midrange GPU, you'll probably be fine. I can almost guarantee you that a high end won't fit, even without seeing the case.

At 150€ you could probably get away with a GTX 660. 50€ more and you'd already have a GTX 760, which would let you run Battlefield 4 on high @1080 at an average of 60fps. You'll need to factor in a new PSU though. I'd recommend spending quite a bit more than your budget, simply because your GPU and PSU are all that is holding your PC back (ok, an extra 4gb ram would also be preferable). Your fps will almost solely be dependable on your GPU. Get a highend GPU and you have a highend PC (with little ram though). All of that depends of course which GPUs even fit in your case.

640Poststreet

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Changing to another case is not an option for me, even though the case itself has a modest price.

For info, the existing 180W PSU measures approximately LxBxH = 175x75x65 mm. Does a bigger one that fit into that case exists?

The free height clearance from the top of the PCI slot to the casing is about 75 mm. Does the GTX660 fits that. Or is there a similar one that does?

OK to more RAM. I think I will add another 4gb.

Jens

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

I don't know PSU sizes by heart, but usually they are all the same size unless you have an exceptionally small one, which might be the case in your PC. You should try to find out if a standard size PSU will fit if you have any doubts.

As for the video card size, the main factor is the length. Many cards take up two slots, so there should be a little room under your PCI-Express slot. That is rarely an issue though. It usually comes down to length.