News Gamer hacks Palworld onto Apple Vision Pro, plays game on 300-inch virtual screen — makes 115-inch 4K projector look puny

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Maybe he can hack in VorpX? I don't use it much because VR gaming is more hassle than it is worth imo, but there is conversion software to "go into" that fake screen he is looking at. Apple could probably buy VorpX for peanuts (on an Apple scale at least), polish it up and have a better selling point for games.

Also the guy is exaggerating with that 300" screen. Here's my old 168" setup that cost less than $800 including 3 sets of 3d DLP glasses 7 years ago by comparison:
View: https://youtu.be/4R6iZFQBM8s

It isn't 4k though, and I don't use it enough to get 4k. I mostly just use it for 3d movies and there aren't a lot.

DavidLejdar

Respectable
Sep 11, 2022
Just about every VR/AR headset can have a huge virtual flat screen. And e.g. the Pimax Crystal has nearly the same resolution as the Apple Vision Pro, at less than half the price and with higher max. refresh rate. (And Pimax is currently developing the Pimax Reality 12K QLED.)

So... nice that someone is happy about the Apple Vision Pro. But having a virtual home theatre screen e.g. for 4K movies, that is also possible with a lot cheaper headsets. And VR gaming works fine as well.

Reactions: scottslayer

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
Just about every VR/AR headset can have a huge virtual flat screen. And e.g. the Pimax Crystal has nearly the same resolution as the Apple Vision Pro, at less than half the price and with higher max. refresh rate. (And Pimax is currently developing the Pimax Reality 12K QLED.)

So... nice that someone is happy about the Apple Vision Pro. But having a virtual home theatre screen e.g. for 4K movies, that is also possible with a lot cheaper headsets. And VR gaming works fine as well.
But can you make blue bubbles with it? :grinning:

Reactions: scottslayer

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Dumb post. Click bait and tiktoky. We've been able to do this since the first Rift came out many, many years ago. Except our headsets, not including apple in particular, are much higher resolution that in the past. You can do this with literally any game or movie, or even standard desktop experience.

HopefulToad

Proper
Jan 4, 2024
Lastly, the image quality was a noticeable improvement on the projector experience, and the latency was minimal
I highly doubt this.

His setup included the expensive new Apple gizmo, a Microsoft Xbox wireless controller (paired via Bluetooth), and a gaming PC with TeamViewer, the TeamViewer iPad app, and Steam Link.
All this, multiple layers of indirection and wireless communication, is a recipe for really bad input lag. This guy must be very insensitive to input lag to report the latency as "minimal."

Feb 5, 2024
$3500 for that? No.
It’s almost like this is a first generation device that is more comparable to the first gen iPhone. Feel free to look up how people thought the first iPhone wasn’t worth the price or hype and then completely transformed how we use computers. It will do more than just have a big screen. The entire user experience of it is leaps and bounds beyond any regular VR headset

Feb 5, 2024
I highly doubt this.

All this, multiple layers of indirection and wireless communication, is a recipe for really bad input lag. This guy must be very insensitive to input lag to report the latency as "minimal."
The latency being low streaming from your Mac is something I’ve heard by people I know have one too

Feb 5, 2024
Nothing about this requires that headset. Absolutely nothing. Any vr headset can do that, the hype is idiotic.
It’s almost like this is a first generation device that is more comparable to the first gen iPhone. Feel free to look up how people thought the first iPhone wasn’t worth the price or hype and then completely transformed how we use computers. It will do more than just have a big screen. The entire user experience of it is leaps and bounds beyond any regular VR headset. Circle back to me in three years when suddenly every company is putting out their version of headset mimicking Apple’s approach like how Android did

Feb 5, 2024

Yes but the Vision Pro has higher ambitions than merely being a regular headset. That’s like comparing BlackBerry to when the first iPhone came out. Sure other cheaper devices technically did the same thing, but what’s different is the human-computer interaction. That’s what made the iPhone revolutionize mobile devices completely. Not tech specs in the first version of the device.

M0rtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thats all great but if you look at it the smartphone era has led to the devolvement of human society. Similarly imagine the next phase when people are just slumped in a heap and logged into their headset 24/7. Its going to be a couple of magnitudes worse than people walking into moving traffic while staring at their phone screen or falling off a cliff when taking a selfie.

Reactions: HopefulToad

BleuCheddar

Prominent
Jul 2, 2023
The worst thing here is the claim of hacking. It looks like Steamlink is available on the headset-so there is literally zero effort involved to get this to work aside from a) ensuring your controller has batteries that are charged and b) going into the app store and downloading the app and c) pairing the controller via Bluetooth. This isn't technical at all or complicated. This guy just played around until he wanted to try Palworld and then had to clean up what he had open to get Steamlink to work (TeamViewer shouldn't be open and all pop ups should be closed, but if they aren't, you can hold the "select" a.k.a. "View" button on the XBox Controller until the Steamlink menu pops up, move the selection to the swap controller mode to mouse, press B on the controller. Then using the left joystick position the mouse cursor over the OK button on the pop up and use the right trigger to left-click the virtual mouse, toggle it back to controller mode by holding the "View" button and select the Controller mode on screen button again then press B, you should be good to go. Otherwise, giving the PC a reboot and logging back in to Windows should take care of any lingering issues.

jfplopes

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I’m reading this articles and checking comments related to Apple Vision Pro and as I type this on my iPad PRO I can’t help thinking how the media and people in general are so biased towards Apple that they end up losing perspective.

I’m happy to see Apple join the VR/AR/XR market with a PRO device aimed to push the limits.
But being able to stream games with Steam Link to Apple Vision PRO is not special.
Being able to watch movies, seeing avatars in VR, browsing the web, launching apps and all that,
None of that is special. Spatial computing is not new. It has been available for years. It was not called spatial computing. That’s just a marketing term.

The difference between the Apple Vision PRO and everything else falls down to one thing.
Fidelity. It’s a higher fidelity experience than what you have in other headsets.
But that’s because it’s the latest tech at a huge price. In the next months we will see other companies come up with other high end headsets with similar features and at a similar price.

But what I do think is special is the fact that some companies have been able to create far cheaper headsets like the Quest 3 and offer greater functionality at not great but quite decent fidelity. Something you and I can actually buy.
What I think is worth mentioning is that playing games and watching movies on a Quest 3 is already on par if not better than watching movies and playing games in most dedicated projectors. (i have XGMI Horizon PRO projector by the way).

But it is also worth mentioning that doing so is not the most confortable experience and you are also disconnected from the world around you. And Vision PRO is actually less confortable than the Quest 3.

Anyway, what I’m really interested is in the following.
- What specs will the non PRO Apple Vision have? The one that I might actually be able to buy.
- Will it support all the VR/AR/XR use cases like what I have now with the Quest 3? Will I be able to sideload apps, will I be able to connect to different devices, play VR games, do productivity work? Will Apple lock down what I can do? Because for me Spatial computing is computing. With no limitations. It’s not computing with limited access to different types of web browsers. Or computing with cloud gaming apps that are forced to run in a browser.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm sure the Vision Pro is a nice headset, but there is no way it beats a large projection screen with a modern "4k" gaming projector and big sound system. People have said the same thing about Quest headsets in the past. Sometimes you want to feel those explosions rather than just look at them. The only reason to make such a ridiculous claim is to bait for social media engagement.

As for Palworld being controversial, it looks like a handful of jealous "gaming journalists" and Pokemon fans and their alt accounts tried to tank the game. They have been crushed by the 19+ million sales so far. Palworld is the Pokemon, Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Detective Pikachu movie combination so many of us have been begging for. Palworld is to Pokemon what Cities Skylines is to Sim City, Smash Bros is to Mortal Kombat, and Horizon is to Assassin's Creed. Palworld is good no matter what display technology you're using for the game.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
It’s almost like this is a first generation device that is more comparable to the first gen iPhone. Feel free to look up how people thought the first iPhone wasn’t worth the price or hype and then completely transformed how we use computers. It will do more than just have a big screen. The entire user experience of it is leaps and bounds beyond any regular VR headset. Circle back to me in three years when suddenly every company is putting out their version of headset mimicking Apple’s approach like how Android did
The hype here is that this device can do this and others can't. It is not true. Apple when they released the iPhone did so right at the start of the capacitive phone ecosystem. They did very well. Both the iPhone and Android launched very close to each other and while the iPhone got the majority of the hype and thus the credit for changing things the truth is capacitive touch screens were what really changed it. That is why both android and iphones were the big deal, and if you know anything about you realize they both were stealing ideas from each other left and right and both ushered in the era of smart phones...not just Apple. That's hype.

In this case Apple is late to the game. Very late. They are also massively over priced and bloated in the capabilities...many of which people don't need or care about. This article is about a certain use case, and just as what happened with phones goes down in history as Apple revolutionizing something, the truth is other companies have already done it, and in this case some of them did it better on a cost adjusted basis.

So thanks for bringing up the phone thing, it really does show how Apple rides on hype no matter what the market actually did.

Status
Not open for further replies.