Gamers Stung by Ubisoft DRM Offered Free Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
It's absolutely no use. The DRM is just unacceptable [Though it is a smart way to tackle piracy, but the 'side-effects' are a bit too annoying]

Ubisoft will understand this when they see their sales drop down steeply with their next big release.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
there is no way in hell I would evar fork over my hard earned money for a game I can not play uninterrupted. Ubisoft wants us to give them our money for this shyte? While I don't agree with piracy, I don't agree with big corporations trying to pirate my money for half baked idea that they think would be acceptable to the consumer either./end rant

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
It's really sad when DRM causes headaches for legit buyers and is not an issue at all for the Pirates.

I thought game companys learned this years ago?

G

People need to STOP buying games that use these kinds of intrusive protection.

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
LOL. How can they 'soften' the pain if people can't play because their dsl is not up to it?! Some people live in areas where the dsl is not perfect..
Did you thought about that mister/misses Ubisoft?!

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
You know, I'd like to play games nowdays, but restrictive DRM is just making it too annoying to have fun.

At least I can thank EA and Ubisoft for getting me back into books and going outside :)

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
lol @ r0x0r's comment. yeah, recent WoW server crashes (EU servers) have made me start cycling a lot more! :)

on the DRM note...i would be up in arms if i HAD bought a special edition copy...it's like: 1) i paid more to get exclusive content, 2) i ALSO couldn't play while the servers were down 3) what do i get? Exclusive, exclusive content? ... words fail me with Ubisoft's DRM... any news on the cracking front :D

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
When do they learn, its impossible to come up with a thing that prevent piracy completely, piracy is something multimedia companies will have to live with. The only way forward is to educate people about the negative sides of piracy, with drm and dragging people to court you only aggrivate people and make more likely to pirate stuff.

They should have said something like this: " We need to earn money on our products, for that to happen we need to make products that isnt pirated so much, with much piracy going on our music will be in large part made for old people as they tend to buy their music and not pirate it "

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]i2010[/nom]People need to STOP buying games that use these kinds of intrusive protection.[/citation]

but don't forget countries that have lower income. :) games still sell the same price as US there. it motivates piracy even the game is at their best.

ivaroeines

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Follow up to my previous post.

Gaming and movie companies could go: " Piracy causes us to cut budgets on our upcomming games/ movies and we can not make titles that may not sell, the innovation within our business will stop or slow down as innovation is too risky and will cause us to lose money."

G

is this only happening on the PC versions... if so could this be a ploy to move everyone over to the console versions?

Gumby74 I think personally that "most" developers would like to see this, which is sad.

I am starting to agree that piracy is a big problem on the PC as well. When NFS Shift came out I read that alot of people with ATI hardware were having issues, so first I went and grabbed the torrent. I couldn't believe how many people were grabbing it. Somewhere around 3,000,000 DLing, and 2,000,000 seeds. After I got the torrent I tried it and it ran fine, so I went out and bought it. If 5 million+ people downloaded it, that had to take alot of money away from the developers. It's still a business, and if companies are losing money for "any" reason on a scale like this it's kinda understandable why they would want to go to console only. It sucks big time though, because I would rather play on the PC any day.

Now with that said, I still don't like DRM. I think the industry as a whole needs to figure something out that works a hell of alot better, for the consumers and the developers. All digital downloads, linked to an account only maybe? Similar to steam. I still can't figure out why companies can't do something to scan certain crucial files before loading the game to find changes. If found, then the game throws people back to the desktop.

Now guys this is all just my personal opinion, but something has to be done because it's getting worse and worse all the time. Back 10 years ago there would of only been a few thousand illegal downloads, and now it's in the millions for almost all new titles. At the same time the developers should of done something a long time ago to nip this in the bud. Same goes for movies, and music. It's there fault for letting it get as bad as what it is IMO.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]sincreator[/nom]Gumby74 I think personally that "most" developers would like to see this, which is sad. I am starting to agree that piracy is a big problem on the PC as well. When NFS Shift came out I read that alot of people with ATI hardware were having issues, so first I went and grabbed the torrent. I couldn't believe how many people were grabbing it. Somewhere around 3,000,000 DLing, and 2,000,000 seeds. After I got the torrent I tried it and it ran fine, so I went out and bought it. If 5 million+ people downloaded it, that had to take alot of money away from the developers. It's still a business, and if companies are losing money for "any" reason on a scale like this it's kinda understandable why they would want to go to console only. It sucks big time though, because I would rather play on the PC any day.Now with that said, I still don't like DRM. I think the industry as a whole needs to figure something out that works a hell of alot better, for the consumers and the developers. All digital downloads, linked to an account only maybe? Similar to steam. I still can't figure out why companies can't do something to scan certain crucial files before loading the game to find changes. If found, then the game throws people back to the desktop.Now guys this is all just my personal opinion, but something has to be done because it's getting worse and worse all the time. Back 10 years ago there would of only been a few thousand illegal downloads, and now it's in the millions for almost all new titles. At the same time the developers should of done something a long time ago to nip this in the bud. Same goes for movies, and music. It's there fault for letting it get as bad as what it is IMO.[/citation]

Well, so many people download it as compared with the time 10 years ago because much more people have now internet and no money t shell out for games. I mean, you would not pay 50$ for every game out there in China or India, similar for Eastern Europe or South America. But those people are not the one who can be considered "lost sales". Also there are many people who download it and never play or not more than an hour or two and delete it or so.
I believe that real loses might be around 10% of these numbers, those represent people which might have bought the game - might have, not necessarily, depending on the factors how like they really like it etc. They probably download much more that they can play anyway.

I agree with what your saying, but even 10% of 5 million is still 500,000 copies. Take that and multiply it by $50 a game, and a company just lost 25 million. See what I'm saying? Even if it was only 5% that could of been sales, that's still 250,000 copies and 12.5 million lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.