News Gamers using game controllers for PC gaming has tripled since 2018 — Steam survey shows Xbox controllers make up 59%

CmdrShepard

Prominent
BANNED
Dec 18, 2023
A mouse is aim assist....the best there is.
I am talking about aim assist function in FPS games.

For mouse you can turn it off and even use raw mouse input. You ain't going to hit much with controller if you turn it off (provided that the game has an "Off" option to begin with).

halfcharlie

Prominent
Dec 21, 2022
For Souls and racing games, a pad is a must.
Lol at Souls simply untrue, DS1/DS2/DS3/Sekiro/Elden Ring/Lords of the Fallen/Lies of P/Armored Core VI etc completionist here all on kb/m. I can obviously control the camera a lot better with a mouse which is a large benefit.

Really unless all those people are playing racing games or fighting games they're doing it wrong, kb/m is always superior otherwise. I use kb for racing too anyway even though I do think a controller would be better, everything from NFS to GRID to DiRT to Horizon, probably will continue to until I have a wheel one day, still gets the job done just have to feather the keys. Hell I played the last three Devil May Cry games with kb/m. I grew up with consoles first (and played Demon's Souls first on PS3 as well as my first playthrough of DS1) and still own one, but there's no substitute for a keyboard and mouse straight up.

Nov 3, 2023
Lol at Souls simply untrue, DS1/DS2/DS3/Sekiro/Elden Ring/Lords of the Fallen/Lies of P/Armored Core VI etc completionist here all on kb/m. I can obviously control the camera a lot better with a mouse which is a large benefit.

Really unless all those people are playing racing games or fighting games they're doing it wrong, kb/m is always superior otherwise. I use kb for racing too anyway even though I do think a controller would be better, everything from NFS to GRID to DiRT to Horizon, probably will continue to until I have a wheel one day, still gets the job done just have to feather the keys. Hell I played the last three Devil May Cry games with kb/m. I grew up with consoles first (and played Demon's Souls first on PS3 as well as my first playthrough of DS1) and still own one, but there's no substitute for a keyboard and mouse straight up.

also a Devil May Cry player and I find this point VERY contentious. playing third-person action games on KB/M is fundamentally different in lots of ways, especially with a game like that where so many move inputs are reliant on a held lock-on button or several seconds of held attack button (charge shot, etc)...now for shooters I agree KB/M is obviously the best, and those camera control boons are real, but I wouldn't play games like that without anything but my Elite Series 2 and its 4 back paddles, personally.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Couch gaming my dude, or even just being able to sit back and not have to be hunched over the kb/m all the time.

Couch gaming.

ba9897c22411fa434f96920974aaf69e.jpg

I have a controller on my rig.
I have one for 20 years now.
How would steam determine if I play steam games with it, or just some NES emulation?
They can't know if I play games with it or just have it plugged it. It's less about gamer using game controllers and more about gamers owning them.

And you don't even have to use them for games. Very easy to use the buttons as hotkeys for stuff like Photoshop or as diy streamdeck. So one could have a controller, but never plays games with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM