Question Games always freeze on external SSD ?

May 13, 2022
Hi everyone, I recently ran out of a lot of storage on my internal storage on my gaming laptop, so I bought myself an external WD D30 SSD to move some of my games to. It’s not insanely slow, running at about 900mb/s from my testing

The games usually run fine for a while but every once in a while they will freeze for up to about 10-15 seconds. I tried a lot of fixes, such as using WD software to scan the drive for any sort of issues, I upgraded the cable to a much faster USB-C one (which while it increased the speeds by quite a large bit, it didn’t help me very much with the issue).

The games I’m running aren’t insanely intensive and run fine normally, I play games such as the original doom, all the way to Ancestors The HumanKind Odyssey (which I believe is the most modern game on the drive, and it runs fine until it gets the same issue as the other games)

Running games internally works fine. Sometimes when I save files to the drive, the same issue takes place. I’ve spent a lot of time researching online to no solution, hopefully you guys can help me.

My pc is the Asus Tuf Gaming A17 2021 model with the following specs:

Ryzen 7 5800h octa-core cpu

16gb ddr4 3200mhz so-dimm RAM

RTX 3060 mobile gpu

512gb boot ssd (I don’t know the speed of this one)

WD Blue SN550 1tb at 2400MB/s

Windows 10 home 64 bit

Thank you!

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
Have you checked your USB power settings in the windows power settings? I know some power settings can turn off the usb after a set amount of time.

Does this happen when playing off battery and plugged in?

Does it happen with all of the usb ports on the laptop?

May 13, 2022
Have you checked your USB power settings in the windows power settings? I know some power settings can turn off the usb after a set amount of time.

Does this happen when playing off battery and plugged in?

Does it happen with all of the usb ports on the laptop?

I just checked the power settings and unchecked one setting that told me to uncheck it if there are issues. Hopefully that works, I'll find out soon enough.

It does happen both on battery and while plugged in and doesn't change at all on any usb port.
Will update soon with results from that setting

Reactions: MEMOFLEX