Question Games and browser tabs keep crashing

elijah_

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Hi,

I'm looking for help trying to pinpoint the source of some problems I recently had with my PC. A couple of days ago, I noticed while playing GTA V that sometimes the game would get stuck when a loading screen is triggered (e.g. when entering or leaving particular buildings). At first I didn't think much of it and just assumed the game might lead to some issues irrespective of your hardware. Two days ago, though, I noticed while running Valorant (minimized) that sometimes tabs in Firefox would crash - usually more demanding ones like Netflix or Twitch. This happened again yesterday, so I tried to open Twitch in Edge and got a message about there not being enough memory available to open the website (forgot the exact message and couldn't replicate it since). Later that day, Valorant first froze and later crashed two times showing this dialogue. Looking through some of the google results I found, this may actually not be a problem with the graphics card but with RAM?

I followed this suggestion, customizing the maximum paging file size, but again today when I had 2 Twitch tabs open, one of them kept crashing, so this probably didn't help?
Just a few days or weeks ago I had no issues running more demanding games or having 3-4 tabs open playing Twitch/YouTube/Netflix and suddenly there's video decoding issues or problems with memory.

Can anyone help me pinpoint what the source of the problem is? Are these issues related at all? My hardware should clearly be good enough to handle these games, so is there really something wrong with my RAM or could it be related to a graphics card driver update or is my graphics card just breaking?

System specs: Win10, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 970, 16GB RAM

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY