[SOLVED] Games and ONLY games are crashing to desktop and BSOD

guardian715

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
Games, specifically high end ones that are getting my gpu working, but not completely pinned so around 50% usage on an RTX 2080. Easy games like unmodded minecraft or 2d are no issue at all. The issue is ESPECIALLY present in VR titles as they work my computer the most. I have a 9700K, RTX2080, 32GB RAM, and obviously Windows 10. When I get the BSOD, windows does not create the dump file so it cannot be retrieved. When I get game crashes, event viewer always has exception code 0xc0000005 every time. BSOD has a different handle every time i.e. Critical process died, memory management, fltmgr.sys. I have run CHKDSK, sfc scan, uninstall and reinstall GPU driver, GPU replacement, clean boot, windows 10 reinstall. Does anyone have any help for this?

Solution
RAM: Corsdair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3000MHz of that and 16gb of one I dont remember from Best Buy at 2400MHz
This could quite potentially be a problem. Mixed RAM modules can cause all manner of issues.

No I do not have latest BIOS installed. I will try that next. Temps on both GPU and CPU do not exceed 55 degrees. GPU was hitting ~65 and I thought that, though strange, was the issue.
EVen without increasing fan speed, those are perfectly within normal safe ranges to be fair, so won't be overheating.

I'd look at BIOS and RAM initially.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This exception is a Status_access_violation, which is typically and simply a driver being given an accessed denied from virtual to physical memory. So they are usually driver based, but can come from hardware.

The bugchecks you have stated can often have various causes, so it's case of investigating and eliminating each possibility.

The fact that you completely reinstalled Windows and the issue persisted would usually indicate the problem is hardware/firmware, or you re-installed the driver that was misbehaving in the first place.

What about the rest of the system spec:
CPU: 9700K
MB: ??
RAM: What models exactly? what format?
Storage: ??
PSU: Make and model??

Also do you have latest BIOS installed?
Have you monitored CPU and GPU temperatures under load? (This would usually lead to WHEA or shutdown but can appear in odd ways)

I would initially run memtest as per this guide just to eliminate RAM from being suspect.https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/test-ram-with-passmark-memtest86.24300/

guardian715

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
Oh sorry.

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
RAM: Corsdair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3000MHz of that and 16gb of one I dont remember from Best Buy at 2400MHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 B2
Storage: Crucial MX300 1TB SSD (I have another drive but OS and game are on SSD)

No I do not have latest BIOS installed. I will try that next. Temps on both GPU and CPU do not exceed 55 degrees. GPU was hitting ~65 and I thought that, though strange, was the issue. I adjusted the fan speed to get ~55 under full load and the same issue persisted. I will also run the memtest as well.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This could quite potentially be a problem. Mixed RAM modules can cause all manner of issues.

No I do not have latest BIOS installed. I will try that next. Temps on both GPU and CPU do not exceed 55 degrees. GPU was hitting ~65 and I thought that, though strange, was the issue.
EVen without increasing fan speed, those are perfectly within normal safe ranges to be fair, so won't be overheating.

I'd look at BIOS and RAM initially.

Solution

xlokwinterx

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Personally i feel like this would be a RAM issue, typically iv noticed that the first thing applications do when running out of memory is hard crash to the desktop, and secondly if RAM is corrupted or throwing an error it tends to blue screen. Defiantly run a mem-test and maybe try investing in two of the same RAM cards.

guardian715

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
UPDATE: I updated BIOS and removed the old RAM and so far no crashes (outside of bad skyrim mods). Also I changed my RAM voltage to the recommended voltage (it was quite undervolted) and made sure it was running at the recommended 3000MHz. It was, if I remember correctly, 2133MHz before. The only other thing I did was enable XMP II. So far so good. I never thought my RAM was that old... I didnt realize it was old when I bought it in the first place and then it just aged itself to oblivion.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
UPDATE: I updated BIOS and removed the old RAM and so far no crashes (outside of bad skyrim mods). Also I changed my RAM voltage to the recommended voltage (it was quite undervolted) and made sure it was running at the recommended 3000MHz. It was, if I remember correctly, 2133MHz before. The only other thing I did was enable XMP II. So far so good. I never thought my RAM was that old... I didnt realize it was old when I bought it in the first place and then it just aged itself to oblivion.
Is the issue still fixed my friend?

guardian715

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
Yes. I have had no more BSOD at all any only a couple crashes, but that is just the nature of Skyrim modding lol. So I would say the issue is resolved. Thanks so much for your help guys!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes. I have had no more BSOD at all any only a couple crashes, but that is just the nature of Skyrim modding lol. So I would say the issue is resolved. Thanks so much for your help guys!
No problem, glad it is resolved, these kind of issues are quite often RAM related. Unfortunately RAM can cause all manner of issues, and in the strangest of ways!
Just remember to select a best answer (described in sig below) so that others visiting the forum can see the solution and mark the thread as solved :)

Happy gaming my friend! (I'm currently having the mod instability issue with Oblivion!)