[SOLVED] Games And PC Crashing Randomly, screen blackout, driver crash?

Mar 6, 2022
I upgraded my computer a month ago and ever since I have been having random game crashes (mainly Halo Infinite, but other games too) and total computer shutdowns without a bsod. Usually both screens will blackout while audio plays for a second or two and either they will come back on and the game will close or the whole computer will crash and reboot (a game doesn't have to be open for a whole system crash)

Now, my system does have a riser cable I have had to fiddle with when changing over the latest components and I am wondering if I could have damaged it and if it could be causing these kinds of issues. It really feels like a driver crash but I can't be sure.

What I have tried so far:
Nvidia Drivers were an old version when crashes occured and after updating (twice now) crashes still occur
Unplugged and replugged riser and gpu a few times
Changed modular pcie Power cable to gpu when I did this games crashed as soon they started to properly use the gpu as just a simple close without the screens blacking out. I musn't have plugged the power in all the way and when it needed more than the pcie it failed.
Unplugged gpu and power entirely and ran off integrated graphics for a couple hours. No crashes but games were barely playable so I couldn't switch to this long term to determine if crashes still happen.

PCIE risers are expensive and I don't want to have to buy a new one if its something else that could be broken so does anyone have an idea what could be the cause? Or setup some logging to determine one?

My system including what was upgraded and what to

CPU: 4770k -> 5700g
MoBo: msi z97 itx -> asus b550i gaming
Ram: 16gb ddr3 1600 gskill - > 32gb ddr4 3600 SP
GPU: Gigabyte 3060ti eagle
PSU: Corsair SFX Platinum 750W

Solution
I upgraded my computer a month ago and ever since I have been having random game crashes (mainly Halo Infinite, but other games too) and total computer shutdowns without a bsod. Usually both screens will blackout while audio plays for a second or two and either they will come back on and the game will close or the whole computer will crash and reboot (a game doesn't have to be open for a whole system crash)

Now, my system does have a riser cable I have had to fiddle with when changing over the latest components and I am wondering if I could have damaged it and if it could be causing these kinds of issues. It really feels like a driver crash but I can't be sure.

Nvidia Drivers were an old version when...

Nvidia Drivers were an old version when crashes occured and after updating (twice now) crashes still occur
Unplugged and replugged riser and gpu a few times
Changed modular pcie Power cable to gpu when I did this games crashed as soon they started to properly use the gpu as just a simple close without the screens blacking out. I musn't have plugged the power in all the way and when it needed more than the pcie it failed.
Unplugged gpu and power entirely and ran off integrated graphics for a couple hours. No crashes but games were barely playable so I couldn't switch to this long term to determine if crashes still happen.

PCIE risers are expensive and I don't want to have to buy a new one if its something else that could be broken so does anyone have an idea what could be the cause? Or setup some logging to determine one?

My system including what was upgraded and what to

CPU: 4770k -> 5700g
MoBo: msi z97 itx -> asus b550i gaming
Ram: 16gb ddr3 1600 gskill - > 32gb ddr4 3600 SP
GPU: Gigabyte 3060ti eagle
PSU: Corsair SFX Platinum 750W
Did you clean install the windows? otherwise, try this (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, Flash Bios agesa 1.2.0.3, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC and PBO/XFR back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver on the mobo web page (should be 3.10.22), reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
For ram you could try to use the fastest xmp profile at 3600mhz or OC it to 3800/3833mhz, then set this timing manually:

SOC Voltage: 1.15v
CPU VDDG CCD and IOD: 0.955v or 1.050v
CLDO VDDP: 0.910v
Dram Voltage: 1.36~1.41v

then go to advanced timings, and change these (try to use the bigger number first):
Command Rate: 2T
tCL: 16
tRCDWR and RD: 19
tRP: 19
tRAS: 36 or 38
tRP: 55 or 57 or 64
tWR: 22 ~ 16
tRFC: 630
tRRD_L: 8 or 6 or 4
tRRD_S: 4
tWTR_L: 14 or 12 or 10
tWTR_S: 4 or 5
tFAW: 24 or 16
tCWL: 16
tRDWR: 8
tWRRD: 3 or 2

ProcODT: 40 or 43.6
ClkDrvStr: 24
AddrCmdDrvStr: 24
CsOdtCmdDrvStr: 24
CkeDrvStr: 24

Power Down Mode: Disabled
Gear Down Mode: Disabled

And for ram stability test, you could try to use TM5 with absolut config, you could google it.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 6, 2022
Did you clean install the windows? otherwise, try this (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• restart the pc to bios, Flash Bios agesa 1.2.0.3, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC and PBO/XFR back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver on the mobo web page (should be 3.10.22), reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
For ram you could try to use the fastest xmp profile at 3600mhz or OC it to 3800/3833mhz, then set this timing manually:

SOC Voltage: 1.15v
CPU VDDG CCD and IOD: 0.955v or 1.050v
CLDO VDDP: 0.910v
Dram Voltage: 1.36~1.41v

then go to advanced timings, and change these (try to use the bigger number first):
Command Rate: 2T
tCL: 16
tRCDWR and RD: 19
tRP: 19
tRAS: 36 or 38
tRP: 55 or 57 or 64
tWR: 22 ~ 16
tRRD_L: 8 or 6 or 4
tRRD_S: 4
tWTR_L: 14 or 12 or 10
tWTR_S: 4 or 5
tFAW: 24 or 16
tCWL: 16
tRDWR: 8
tWRRD: 3 or 2

ProcODT: 40 or 43.6
ClkDrvStr: 24
AddrCmdDrvStr: 24
CsOdtCmdDrvStr: 24
CkeDrvStr: 24

Power Down Mode: Disabled
Gear Down Mode: Disabled

And for ram stability test, you could try to use TM5 with absolut config, you could google it.
I appreciate the response but no, I haven't reinstalled windows. I've had this install since 2013 and don't really want to go through the process of setting everything up and potentially losing stuff.

As for those steps. That seems like a lot. What of it could actually be relevant like resetting the bios? It was happening since I first installed the new mobo and CPU.

I'll check the power cable that's plugged in and reinstall the GPU driver but it seems kinda dodgy to uninstall the CPU driver. Already tried force pcie 3 and docp memory speed on and off with no change

I appreciate the response but no, I haven't reinstalled windows. I've had this install since 2013 and don't really want to go through the process of setting everything up and potentially losing stuff.

As for those steps. That seems like a lot. What of it could actually be relevant like resetting the bios? It was happening since I first installed the new mobo and CPU.

I'll check the power cable that's plugged in and reinstall the GPU driver but it seems kinda dodgy to uninstall the CPU driver. Already tried force pcie 3 and docp memory speed on and off with no change
well, sometimes re flashing the bios helps, but i prefer you to do the steps in order, dont skip 1 step each other.

Well, that's the first step when troubleshooting shooting such issues. It's always recommended after doing a major upgrade like changing motherboard/cpu. Plus, your Windows install is almost 10 years old and probably has tons of crap in the registry.

In the meantime go ahead and use DDU in safemode to completely remove any traces of old GPU drivers. Have the correct drivers downloaded and ready to install. Be sure to disconnect your PC from the internet to prevent Windows from installing generic drivers.

Reactions: Rookie2222