Question Games are crashing (with no error message) on the T5 SSD - Specifically Dota 2 (on startup) and Baldurs Gate 3 (randomly)

Burning_rand

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have an ASUS TUF DASH F15, as I wanted something more portable than my desktop (which I have always just replaced parts for).

The laptop only has 500 gigs of space - and I have a LOT of big games that I have on the go at most times, so I don't like to uninstall. I'm just used to having a tonne of harddrive space.

My plan all along was to get an external SSD, 2tb (specifically I have T5). Unfortunately, I'm getting random crashes out of games - no error messages.
I can play all games on high spec (assuming I can get into them without crashing). No memory loss and can play these games on Ultra settings for the most part.

These are the three main incidents:
  1. 7 Days to Die crashes (5-10 minutes in) IF I connect the SSD using the USB-C, then guaranteed crash. If I use normal USB, then no crash
  2. Baldur's Gate 3 crashes either right on startup (if I try hosting a game) or randomly while playing. Cannot fix.
  3. Dota 2 crashes right away if I 'find a game'. Fixed if I go windowed mode before I play, but still annoying
Things I've tried to do:
  1. View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6fiG693qKU&ab_channel=EbaadKhan
    - Sadly this didn't fix anything (downloading the samsung software)
  2. My GPU is up to date
  3. Windows up to date
  4. Windowed mode and changed USB type as mentioned above (the latter fixed 7 days)
I went into this thinking that SSD was the way to go with laptops where I cannot easily replace the internal hard drive. Is there something I'm missing here? What do other laptop users do for their large-scale gaming habits?

Other details:
  • 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30 GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
  • 16384 ram
  • Dx12
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 laptop gpu

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021
Hi, Did you end up finding a solution for this?

I have the same laptop and same SSD and same situation. Came from desktop with many HDDs thinking of laptop with external SSD and it likes to drop out which kicks me from games constantly.

Thinking it's the SSD but not entirely sure. Wondering if you worked out the issue?
Thanks

Burning_rand

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
Performance power settings (I believe the highest option to me)

Forgot to just add the following deets:
  • 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30 GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
  • 16384 ram
  • Dx12
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 laptop gpu

Sadly no fix yet 😒. I also found that this issue occurred even off the SSD, so it’s the laptop itself. I don’t quite know how to fix the issue.

D

Deleted member 14196

You’re having thermal issues or power supply issues most likely

View the event logs and see if there’s anything there that could lead you to the problem

TRENDING THREADS