Question Games are not using more than 4Gb Ram when having 16Gb installed, and games stutter!

Jan 7, 2020
Hi, so I just upgraded from 2x4gb (8GB DDR3 1600) to 2x8gb (16GB DDR3 1600), however games seem to be using somewhat the same or less ram than they did when I had 8GB installed.

I've read around that games such as PUBG should around 8-10gb of ram. However it's only been using just above 4GB of ram in total while having 16GB of ram.

When I had 8GB of ram (2x4gb), Pubg used around 4-4.5gb, and since I've upgrade, it's still using the same amount despite having 16gb.

PUBG when using 8Gb of ram
PUBG when using 16GB Ram

If you look at the second picture in the 8gb link, Pubg is using almost 5GB of ram. But in the same area with 16gb, it's only using just above 4.

This is also an issue for games like BF5 because even that game won't use more than 3-4gb of ram, and I get quite a lot of stuttering in the game, as well as pubg a little bit.

Here is a youtube video of the stuttering I'm experiencing that I uploaded in BF5.

This is also my ram usage while idle/chrome open, is it normal to have that much ram cached? Page file is set to default as well.

Any advice would be appreciative, thank you.

Specs:
CPU: i5 4440 @3.1ghz
Ram: (8x2 16gb ddr3 1600)
GPU: RX 570 4GB Gigabyte
1TB Mx500 ssd

Last edited:
A game will only use the ram it needs.
Windows will leave unused code in ram in anticipation of future use.
That is normal.
If you are ever truly short of ram, it will show up in task manager as hard fault page rate.
Normally that rate will be minimal, less than one per second.

Stuttering is normally from a lack of cpu capability.
What are the rest of your specs?

Jan 7, 2020
A game will only use the ram it needs.
Windows will leave unused code in ram in anticipation of future use.
That is normal.
If you are ever truly short of ram, it will show up in task manager as hard fault page rate.
Normally that rate will be minimal, less than one per second.

Stuttering is normally from a lack of cpu capability.
What are the rest of your specs?
Hi, sorry I should have specified my specs before. I have an i5 4440 @ 3.1ghz, 16GB DDR3, RX 570 4GB Gigabyte, 1TB Mx500 SSD. Often my CPU usage is at 100% usage when playing bf5, but my GPU is at 70-80% when at high settings. Could this be causing my stuttering?

I used to have a GTX 960 2gb founders edition, and while I'd play on medium settings 45fps avg, there wouldn't be any stuttering.

Here is a youtube video of the stuttering I'm experiencing that I uploaded, apologies for not screen recording but it was the easiest way to capture it.

Last edited:
Likely, the clock rate of your i5-4400 is not sufficient.
If your motherboard supports overclocking, look into a i5-4690K or a i7-4790K and a decent cooler.

If you need more than that, you are looking at current gen ryzen 3000 or intel 8/9th gen k suffix processors.
You would also need a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

Jan 7, 2020
Likely, the clock rate of your i5-4400 is not sufficient.
If your motherboard supports overclocking, look into a i5-4690K or a i7-4790K and a decent cooler.

If you need more than that, you are looking at current gen ryzen 3000 or intel 8/9th gen k suffix processors.
You would also need a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.
My motherboard is an ipm87-mp, from a pre-built HP system. It does not support overclocking and it supports these CPU's:

Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz (Quad Core)
Core i7-4771 3.5 GHz (Quad Core)

Core i5-4430 3.0 GHz (Quad Core)
Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz (Quad Core)
Core i5-4570 3.2 GHz (Quad Core)
Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz (Quad Core)

Socket Type: LGA 1150
Chipset: Intel H87

I plan to upgrade to a ryzen based system in 6-12 months, but for now I'm keeping this system. Would it be worth upgrading to one of the compatible CPU's?