Games are stuttering

-Mo___

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Well it depends on what game? Can yo list the ones you have issues with.

I suspect it's because the CPU and ram are getting close to maxing. If for example you are playing BF1, you will defo have issues like that. BF1 can max all 4 cores on the CPU and at 1080p 60hz res, will also pretty much max your system ram.

Other games, less demanding will run smoother as your CPU won't be maxed, and will have some ram spare.

You can try all the usual troubleshooting, GPU driver install, system driver updates etc. Also make sure no back round tasks are running or anything like Chrome with lots of tabs, which eat memory and a few CPU cycles too!

Temps look fine, although if you can take a screenshot of HWMon while gaming (and stuttering) then we can tell for sure.

-Mo___

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Hey
Thank you for your replie.

When playing less demanding games like rocket league i usually do not experience these stutters although they can still occur like they did today.
When trying to play forza horizon 3 i would get very bad stutter and freezes and everytime a stutter would happen i would see my hdd go to 100 usage. When i stuttered in rocket league my hdd usage was still arround 0.

I used to play battlefield 1 and also stutter there even tho i had good fps. ( note that my stutters always happen when i am gettign 60+ fps) Here are my cpu temps in a less demanding game like rocket league :
https://gyazo.com/7371feead265a4d7151b2b444156c88b

This is task manager while playing it :
https://gyazo.com/51414eb05f14f741efdd19b1767cf743

Temps are a little high for a gaming load. they should really be lower than that.

idle temps 30-35, gaming temps 45-65, full stress temps 65-80c. You may need to apply thermal paste on your CPU again, it's possibly worn if you haven't done it since first getting the CPU. It could be your CPU is throttiling, which could also cause that stuttering.

For some games, your CPU will cause the stuttering, for others the ram will cause it. Additionally you have high temps.

This is what I'd recommend.

1. Re-place thermal paste/check cooler is clean and seated correctly.
2. Get more ram (this isn't a great idea as DDR3 unless second hand is almost as expensive as DDR4)
3 Try all driver updates, GPU, system etc, and do a Bios update to be sure.
4. If these things work, great. If not you may need to look at upgrading the system to achieve what you want. i.e smooth game play at 1080p.

Task manager isn't great for this kinda troubleshooting. HWMon give much better and more accurate info. That's why i suggested taking a screenshot while gaming. Just alt tab out of the game (whilst HWmon is running in back round) so we can see CPU usage/temps/voltage etc

-Mo___

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Once again i thank you for your reply. I think you might be on the right track as to why i am having these performance issues, You say idle temps should be arround 30-35 yet mine are 60 while idle.. I would like to let you know that i have bought the following products
i5 8400
h310m motherboard
8gb ddr4 (will add more later)
Also i have bought a hyper evo 212 for good cpu cooling. ( not looking to overclock)

Btw i did not buy these new parts just becuase of this problem but rather becuase i was looking to upgrade my system as a whole.

What do you think of my new purchases? I know the motherboard is minimal but as i am not looking to overclock i think it should be just fine for my gaming. And the cpu seemed like a good choice aswell.

I can also report back tommorow and show you my temps then and let you know if i am still stuttering with my new hardware.

Ah, i see. Yes, for your old system the issues ive outlined are likely.

For the new system, the 8400 (IMO) is the best bang for buck gaming CPU right now. It's not the fastest, or has the most cores but it's a solid performer, and will out do most Ryzen gen 1 CPU's in gaming performance. But only gaming. Factor in gaming/streaming/multitasking then it's a different story.

The new system is very decent for the res. But, as I mentioned above, having 8gbs will hamper you in some games, and you may still experience stuttering. 8gbs used to be the sweet spot. Now it's 16gbs.

Let me know how you get on!

edit: 60c at idle is way too high. Defo a thermal paste/cooler/airflow issue.

-Mo___

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Yes i have done alot of research on wether to get ryzen or intel but as i do not do anything like streaming i have decided to go with the i5 8400.
Bang for the buck is exactly what i was going for so i am happy with my choice.
As for the 8gb ram i have never experience any stuttering due to my 8gb ram before i had the cpu temp issue. Aslong as i am able to maintain above 60fps in my games theres nothing i can complaing about.And i will be upgrading to 16gb in the near future anyways. I will give you an update tommorow

TRENDING THREADS