[SOLVED] Games arent running smoothly

Dmeercat

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
Hello there I bought this PC by NZXT around a month ago and ive been having a lot of problem with games. I will get a large amount of micro stutters/stutters in most of my games. I honestly dont know what to do. Ive already tried turning A-XMP on, changing settings in Nvidia Control Panel, turning off G-Sync, and none of those options worked. I ran a benchmark test on UserBenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26244989 and my pc is running fine.

My Specs:
MSI RTX™ 2080 SUPER VENTUS XS OC
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8GHz
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G5 Gold
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200MHz2 X 16 GB

Solution
NZXT H710
I'm guessing the radiator is mounted in the front? If not, I'd suggest you try mounting the rad in the front of the case as intake, leave the rear as exhaust, do 2 top fan intake to blow air over the VRMs, and see what happens in game.

As for Ryzen Master:
Open it, click on Settings. Enable Live monitoring, Speed, Temperature, Show Histogram, click Apply and Ok.
Leave it on the Current Tab - there should be a live graph recording the clock speeds and temperature.
Leave Ryzen Master running in the background while you play your game(s). The goal is to monitor whether or not power throttling is actually occurring.

I can set the refresh rate to both to 144hz but I like to play rythem games at the highest refresh...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Are you running a multi-monitor setup and the screens have different native refresh rates?

2)What's the case model?

3)What's the cpu cooler?

What's probably going on here - and this has been known for several months now - is that the Ryzen 3900X power throttles on the cheaper Msi X570 motherboards.
Reason: poorly designed VRM cooling - needs extra help from case fans to keep cool.
If this cpu is being cooled via a liquid cooler, that makes this all the worse, because a con of liquid coolers is that one sacrifices the direct cooling over the mobo's VRMs that's naturally provided by air coolers.

Dmeercat

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
1)Are you running a multi-monitor setup and the screens have different native refresh rates?

2)What's the case model?

3)What's the cpu cooler?

What's probably going on here - and this has been known for several months now - is that the Ryzen 3900X power throttles on the cheaper Msi X570 motherboards.
Reason: poorly designed VRM cooling - needs extra help from case fans to keep cool.
If this cpu is being cooled via a liquid cooler, that makes this all the worse, because a con of liquid coolers is that one sacrifices the direct cooling over the mobo's VRMs that's naturally provided by air coolers.
Yes it is using the x570 motherboard and I am also running two different refresh rate monitors one 240hz and one 144hz and the cooler is NZXT Kraken X62

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)What's the case model?

2)In Ryzen Master, are the cpu's frequencies observed making large drops on the active cores in game? Like, down to 3.0ghz, or worse?

3)Go into Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Change resolution.
Select the 240hz monitor, click the drop-down arrow under Refresh rate, and select 144hz. If that option is not available, then select 120hz for both screens.

so what should I do return it and ask they change the motherboard?
Depending on your case model, there may not be any other workarounds besides changing the mobo.

Dmeercat

Commendable
Feb 29, 2020
1)What's the case model?

2)In Ryzen Master, are the cpu's frequencies observed making large drops on the active cores in game? Like, down to 3.0ghz, or worse?

3)Go into Nvidia Control Panel > Display > Change resolution.
Select the 240hz monitor, click the drop-down arrow under Refresh rate, and select 144hz. If that option is not available, then select 120hz for both screens.

Depending on your case model, there may not be any other workarounds besides changing the mobo.
Sorry I didn't get back to you till now but the case model is NZXT H710, I dont know how to check im not very good with ryzen master, and I can set the refresh rate to both to 144hz but I like to play rythem games at the highest refresh rate for the smoothest experience.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NZXT H710
I'm guessing the radiator is mounted in the front? If not, I'd suggest you try mounting the rad in the front of the case as intake, leave the rear as exhaust, do 2 top fan intake to blow air over the VRMs, and see what happens in game.

As for Ryzen Master:
Open it, click on Settings. Enable Live monitoring, Speed, Temperature, Show Histogram, click Apply and Ok.
Leave it on the Current Tab - there should be a live graph recording the clock speeds and temperature.
Leave Ryzen Master running in the background while you play your game(s). The goal is to monitor whether or not power throttling is actually occurring.

I can set the refresh rate to both to 144hz but I like to play rythem games at the highest refresh rate for the smoothest experience.
That's great and all, but the reason you're here is because that's not happening even at 240hz.
You won't make any progress without some troubleshooting, and right now, the biggest suspects are:
-Motherboard VRM thermal throttling, thus causing the cpu to suddenly drop it's frequency below base, causing stuttering.
-Multi-monitor: different native refresh rates causing frame buffer desync, aka, stuttering.

Solution