Question Games automatically run on higher resolution

hightsee

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Hi, I just bought an ASUS STRIX GTX 960, and upon installing all drivers and going to change my resolution to my monitor's resolution (1366x768) I noticed that I can change it up to 2560x1600, but my monitor doesn't support that resolution, and whenever I want to play a game, It just automatically runs at the max resolution supported by the graphic card, and my monitor just says out of range. How can I fix this?

hightsee

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
How is it connected to the monitor?

It should work at whatever setting you have it set to. I've never seen a card exceed what you have it set at. Perhaps there is something you need to change in the Nvidia control panel?
It's connected through a DVI to VGA Adapter. Even in the Nvidia control panel, it says it can go up to 1600x1200 and that I can increase the refresh rate, but everything beyond 1366x768 60hz is just out of range.
I can set it to 1920x1080, but everything is just small and isn't REAL 1920x1080.

hightsee

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
And if you set it for 1366x768 it keeps changing on you? To something out of range? My only guess is because of the adapter.
For example, when I was playing rust, I started the game normally and when it finished loading it just went black screen Out of range. When I managed to get it in windowed mode, I went to resolution setting and it was set to 2560x1600. Even tho my screen resolution was 1366x768

In the Nvidia control panel, under "Manage 3D Settings" -> "Global Settings" there's an option called "Preferred refresh rate (Anchor Communications...)"

Try changing it to "Application Controlled" (if it isn't already) instead of "Highest Available" and see if that could potentially be the problem. Make sure your games are set to the correct resolution in-game (1366x768)

The adaptor could possibly make the Nvidia driver think the higher resolution is correct (as suggested above by 47454544b), and the setting mentioned above, would make the resolution change to maximum possible when launching a game - which would result in the out of range error

I'm not sure it is the problem at all, but it is easy to double check, so I'd say it is worth a shot, you never know..
If it doesn't fix the problem, at least you can cross one potential issue off the list

Last edited:

hightsee

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
In the Nvidia control panel, under "Manage 3D Settings" -> "Global Settings" there's an option called "Preferred refresh rate (Anchor Communications...)"

Try changing it to "Application Controlled" (if it isn't already) instead of "Highest Available" and see if that could potentially be the problem. Make sure your games are set to the correct resolution in-game (1366x768)

The adaptor could possibly make the Nvidia driver think the higher resolution is correct (as suggested above by 47454544b), and the setting mentioned above, would make the resolution change to maximum possible when launching a game - which would result in the out of range error

I'm not sure it is the problem at all, but it is easy to double check, so I'd say it is worth a shot, you never know..
If it doesn't fix the problem, at least you can cross one potential issue off the list
Ok sorry for the late reply, but I just checked the Nvidia control panel and I don't seem to have an option "Preferred refresh rate".

My games are set to fullscreen, but it's not always the same for all games, for example, Valorant, ran at 1600x1200, but Rust ran at 2560x1600.

View: https://imgur.com/DYhdehu

Could this do something, I'm new to Nvidia and it's control panel (former AMD user)

In your picture from the Nvidia driver panel, your display is reported to be a 1024x768 native resolution, but is scaled to 1366x768.

What make and model is your monitor exactly?

The scaling option may be what is causing the problems (or a contributing factor), so the correct resolution for your monitor would be helpful to know

hightsee

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
In your picture from the Nvidia driver panel, your display is reported to be a 1024x768 native resolution, but is scaled to 1366x768.

What make and model is your monitor exactly?

The scaling option may be what is causing the problems (or a contributing factor), so the correct resolution for your monitor would be helpful to know
Alright, so my monitor always displays "Suggested monitor resolution 1366x768" if the resolution isn't 1366x768. The monitor is BENQ G950

hightsee

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Nothing happens, It just flashes my screen asking if i want to revert or keep it the same, but nothing changes, and for some reason it's always set to 85hz even tho my monitor only supports 60 hertz.

If you go to the "Change Resolution" tab a bit further up than the Desktop Size menu, what are your settings there?

It should be set to 1366x768 and 60Hz

Desktop Scaling options should be left at 1366x768 at 60Hz

Aspect Ratio or Full Screen setting don't seem to be as important.

Try to select 60Hz in both tabs

But sometimes certain refresh rates are not supported by all available inputs on the monitor. Some refresh rates are only available through certain connectors. An incorrect refresh rate can also cause the out of range-error, it doesn't have to be the resolution only.

Since you only have VGA available, I would guess 60Hz is the correct refresh rate.

Other than that, I can't really think of other possible causes than what has already been mentioned by 4745454b which is the adaptor causing the problems

hightsee

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Try to select 60Hz in both tabs

But sometimes certain resolutions are not supported by all available inputs on the monitor. Some refresh rates are only available through certain connectors. An incorrect refresh rate can also cause the out of range-error, it doesn't have to be the resolution only.

Other than that, I can't really think of other possible causes than what has already been mentioned by 4745454b which is the adaptor causing the problems
Okay, thanks for everything, I am going to be buying a new monitor real soon. So I will just deal with this for a little bit.
Cheers, and stay healthy.