Games cannot write save files

Status
Not open for further replies.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Heyya, fellas.

As described above, I have games with varying degrees of the problem. Some cannot save settings, still some other cannot save game progression, the worst has it both. I was able to do various workarounds that let me partially solve the problem.

However, I hit a block with my newly installed Metro Last Light Redux, it doesn't write any saves anywhere. I Googled my problem and no solution fit me, I tried writing an "attrib" modification on "My Documents" using an elevated command prompt to rid the "Read-Only" attribute but that still didn't work. I tried taking ownership of the folders in question but still nothing.

Thus, I head here to Tom's for aid.

Solution
Is it just Steam games that are affected by this?

Following that assumption, after migrating to Win10, did you do a clean reinstall of Win10 afterwards or restore your steam games by coping the steam apps folder? You may have to verify your games.

If thats not it, Win10 could be preventing steam and games launched by it from making any changes to the hdd if that's possible, just a guess. Maybe look into relaxing the security settings and also try turning off UAC. Running Steam in Administrator as suggested should show a sign if it is Win10's security.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Indeed, I run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Got it from Windows when they rolled off the upgrade to my machine. All my games are off of Steam.

USAFRet

Titan

From your original:
"some cannot save settings, still some other cannot save game progression"

Does it give you any error messages?

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

No errors most of the time, I just find my game progress reversed and my settings reverted. There are only a couple of times when Steams says it has trouble syncing with Cloud Saves.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is it just Steam games that are affected by this?

Following that assumption, after migrating to Win10, did you do a clean reinstall of Win10 afterwards or restore your steam games by coping the steam apps folder? You may have to verify your games.

If thats not it, Win10 could be preventing steam and games launched by it from making any changes to the hdd if that's possible, just a guess. Maybe look into relaxing the security settings and also try turning off UAC. Running Steam in Administrator as suggested should show a sign if it is Win10's security.

Solution

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

I should have posted specs, it's late but here goes:

i5 3570k, Asus P8Z77-M Pro, Sapphire R9 380 Nitro 4 GB, HyperX Fury 8 GB (1x), SanDisk Ultra Plus 128 GB SSD, WD Blue 1 TB

I have my BF4 and OS in the SSD, the rest are in my HDD. I think I didn't perform a clean install of Windows since BF4 is largely untouched. I verified all my games and they're fine.

I think your second hypothesis might just be it. I'm not familiar with the Windows security setttings you're pointing at, but I did run Metro Last Light as admin and it was saving my progression. Any way to make this a permanet solution across every game?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im not sure in depth of Win10 security but did run Win10 briefly once for a few weeks and the first thing i did was disable UAC first of as i hated it in Win7 so continued to disable in 10, and haven't run into problems like this. Im wondering - wouldn't be uncommon for people disabling UAC, if more left it on default settings there could be a problem. Though running Metro in Administrator points to UAC so try disable that and see how you go. UAC is User Account Control.

So the files ARE there and they are just being overwritten? Try disabling cloud saves.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

I'll get through Googling this UAC and will be back if ti's any good.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Hmm. I've been thorough in my search, but haven't found anything.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ80yjGWEns"][/video]

Have a video from youtube, there's plenty more there for you.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for all the help and apologies if it took me this long to come back to the thread. I was otherwise occupied by Uni work. Anyway, I tried to manually set games to run as Administrator and had mixed results. I weighed in on the security of having UAC on and the convenience of turning it off, and settled for the latter option. Everything works well now.

Cheers for the helpful community!

targareans

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017

ya i had somewhat same problem,icould'nt save my games and tried most of the methods then i changed my documents location to another drive from C and it works for me :) to change location go to properties ->location... hope it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.