Question Games cause a crash but audio and voice chat continues

May 11, 2020
Hi Everyone,

When I start games, I can get about 5 minutes of play before I get a crash. This has happened with World of Warcraft and Call of Duty Warzone.

My screen goes black, my fans go into overdrive. However I can still hear audio and maintain conversations on discord. The screen never recovers. This happens without fail.

I've watched the task manager when this happens on Warzone I can see the GPU and and CPU hitting 100%. However, on World of Warcraft, they are stable at around 60%.

Temperatures on the CPU seem stable at the time of the crash. Not climbing higher the 75%.

Post crash, I cannot see anything in the event viewer.

I have seen many cases of this issue online, however each case seems to have a completely different fix. New PSU, new GPU, new CPU, new thermal paste, Faulty Ram...

I have tried so far:
  • Updating the video card drivers
  • Changing the SSD
  • Replacing older ram with new sticks of the below (2x4gb)
  • Clean installs of the Windows 10 OS on a new SSD
  • Multiple clean installs of World of Warcraft also on new SSD
  • Replacing the PSU
The only option I can see now is replacing the GPU, if that doesn't work then I will have to build a new PC.

I'd like to avoid this when all I really play is World of Warcraft.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and other info needed please let me know!

Thanks!

My PC

• Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Kingston HyperX (2x4GB) DDR3-1333
  • GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
  • Corsair VS650
  • Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD

Last edited:
May 11, 2020
So after running some stress tests on the GPU. It seems that the fans where not adequately keeping the GPU cool enough. I cannot get the fan to spin using MSI Afterburner. The fan is not clogged with dust and it does spin on BIOS.

Last edited: