Games cause internet to cut out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyazzle

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Every time I play a game on my computer my internet stops working and won't start up again until I exit the game. To clarify this is only on my computer not my router.

pc specs

cpu: intel core duo 3.0ghz
gpu: radeon 7750 ghost thermal
ram: 4gb
psu: xilence 600w
wireless: Tp Link 300mbps wireless N adapter

Solution
Okay there is some key things here:
You have Fiber connected to the house.
You have a Virgin Router/Modem/Wifi as the base station.
Your connecting wirelessly and have issues when playing games, but your saying "very low amount of wireless devices around me. "
Your using a low end PC but playing low end games.
AVG/Malware scans don't show any issues.
"I've had this issue with my previous internet provider also. "

Well I understand all this, but even if there was just *1* wireless device nearby (detectable) it would cause the same issue if it was also using the same router name as yours / same channel (think a channel is like a radio station, two stations can't be on the same frequency they need to be off a little to hear them...

Nyazzle

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I'm using the gigabyte ga-73pvm-s2h (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-73PVM-S2H-Motherboard-Extreme-Ethernet/dp/B000YMAWCA)

And I have no optimization software for internet speeds.

Nyazzle

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
did that checked through all the tabs and saw nothing out of the ordinary, just my network device disconnects, reconnects then disconnects again 5 min into the game before stopping entirely.

Okay let's stop for a moment. 1st, a game (software) can't make your internet 'cut out' what you can do is run too much data that you overload your wireless router your connecting to. That said, it is a networking issue, not a game issue.

First what games are we talking about, because your hardware is way too low to be trying to play BF4, AC3, etc. much less a multiplayer game.
Second, your trying to connect wirelessly to what make / model router?
Third since you want to game over the router, how many other communicating devices are on this network (phones, computers, tablets, etc.)
Fourth do you have access to the Admin page in the router (i.e. it wasn't provided by the ISP)?
Fifth set all connecting devices to use QoS (Qualit of Service) in their Network Properties, then setup the QoS table in your Router.
Sixth, download and install http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Network-Management-and-Software/Network-Management/Wi-Fi-Inspector, use it to see how many wireless places are nearby and what channels they use. Make sure your router name isn't duplicated (you see four listed 'CableTV Wireless" listed) and you aren't on a channel used by any neighbor devices (you see three wireless on Channel 7, so you change to channel 9 for example).

Nyazzle

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I'm attempting to play arelith nights (an old game that was made for dial-up connections), gmod, rust, mount and blade warband, minecraft and guild wars 2 and many more.

I'm attempting to connect to the Virgin media super hub 2.0 which I've had no issues with in the past.

I only have my ipad on this network, which for the purposes of this I disconnected it from the network.

I've had this issue with my previous internet provider also.

I have admin access to the router. We have a very low amount of wireless devices around me and we use fiber optic broadband.

To help I can run programs such as Photoshop, blender and adobe after effects and still use the internet seamlessly. It is only when I run games specifically, and it doesn't cut the internet out like a hub reset, but whilst I'm playing a game I cannot connect to the internet on my pc, but say with other devices I can quite easily at the same time.

The network managing tool only came up with my network and the line tests all came up with A grade at 11ms 0% packet loss and 1ms jitter. Nobody is on the same channel either.

Okay there is some key things here:
You have Fiber connected to the house.
You have a Virgin Router/Modem/Wifi as the base station.
Your connecting wirelessly and have issues when playing games, but your saying "very low amount of wireless devices around me. "
Your using a low end PC but playing low end games.
AVG/Malware scans don't show any issues.
"I've had this issue with my previous internet provider also. "

Well I understand all this, but even if there was just *1* wireless device nearby (detectable) it would cause the same issue if it was also using the same router name as yours / same channel (think a channel is like a radio station, two stations can't be on the same frequency they need to be off a little to hear them both).

So again, please " install http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Network-Management-and-Software/Network-Management/Wi-Fi-Inspector, use it to see how many wireless places are nearby and what channels they use. Make sure your router name isn't duplicated (you see four listed 'CableTV Wireless" listed) and you aren't on a channel used by any neighbor devices (you see three wireless on Channel 7, so you change to channel 9 for example)."

And because you intend to use your iPad via this connection sometime in the future, please "set all connecting devices to use QoS (Qualit of Service) in their Network Properties, then setup the QoS table in your Router"

Now, if these haven't help I need to ask a dumb question; The Tp Link 300mbps wireless N adapter is a USB right? What is the port it is plugged into USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? If on USB 1.1 can you move it to a USB 2.0 port? If it is NOT a USB but a CARD inside the computer, can you try another slot and see if that makes any difference?

Then if these haven't helped, the final test is a bit more of a physical issue but is needed. You would need to take the PC and relocated near the router, like no less then 5 feet away. Does the signal improve (check Xirrus)? Do the games work without issue now?

If so then there is a solid part of your home that is interfering with the quality of the signal where the PC is physically located and you would need a booster put in between to amplify the signal to reach the demanding PC signal.

If there is no change then we have eliminated Wireless interference, Wireless distance, Physical obstacles as main issues (very common). Disable the Wireless and plug in a wired connect from PC to Virgin. Does things change now?

IF so then we will focus on solutioning your Wireless card (card / USB is toasted or the Drivers are all messed up to Windows registry for the device is all messed up).

If NOT, then we are looking at a issue either with Windows itself or the Mobo (as both the Wireless adapter / card plugs into the USB / slot on the Mobo and the wired connection is built into the mobo).

Solution

Nyazzle

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I've installed xirrus wi-fi inspector and I'm letting you know other than mine, there isn't anymore. My ipad has now been set to QoS. It's a pci-e slot card, I have done that already and left if there for a while and played games etc etc, no luck on that part only difference was the signal strength before I wen't on the game was 5 bars instead of my usual 4 bars So it's nothing to do with anything physically blocking it. So it's either the card, windows or mobo at this point it looks like.

Nyazzle

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Thank-you for your help both of you! I shall see if driver updates/ re-installs work, if not I will re-install windows and if that doesn't work then online gaming will have to wait for me to finish my new Pc!

Status
Not open for further replies.