Games choppy after buying new monitor.

Socks1

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Hello, so recently I decided to buy a new monitor for a higher resolution and I noticed problems while in game.

Fps is fine, usually 120-150 but it seems choppy. I checked the fps graph in game and everything seems fine, I'm not sure what to do. I tried lowering the resolution in game, it still didn't help. I also tried other games and the problem is still there. I currently have my resolution set at 1920x1080 on the desktop and 1600x900 in game.

Specifications

Monitor : Asus VS247H-P

Graphics : Intel HD 4000

Processor : Intel i5-3210m (2.50 ghz)

RAM : 6 GB

Also a valuable thing to note, I play on a laptop and hooked up to VGA.

Solution
Do you have vsync on or off? Your monitor has a refresh rate of 75 Hz. You might want to turn vsync on or if the game lets you limit the FPS, limit it to 75. If there is no 75, try 60.

Dilan Gilluly

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014
What game are you trying to play? And have you checked to see if there is a refresh rate adjustment. Should be in Screen Resolutions -> Advanced settings -> Monitor tab. Try adjusting it if there's any other settings that will work for the monitor.

Also the laptop is wayyy underpowered for gaming. I would consider getting a $400-500 desktop if you have any realistic goals for gaming.

Edit: FPS count isn't a clear cut way to measure performance. This issue comes down to frame latency. It doesn't mean anything to get 120 fps if it takes a fifth of the second to render the first frame of the second. Hence your lag issue. Frap's built-in benchmarking tools can measure frame latency and outputs them to a csv file which you can open in Excel or Openoffice.

Socks1

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Worked, Thank you

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Good to hear. I also have the same CPU in my laptop (also Asus, the K55A). If you haven't done this already, go into the BIOS settings and make sure that the dedicated video memory is set to the maximum which should be 512 MB. I found that this helps quite a bit in many games although in some games in makes no difference at all. The stock setting is 64 MB but in theory, Windows should allocate RAM to the HD 4000 when needed. Some games, though, don't do this and only see that 64 MB is available. Since you have 6GB of system RAM, you should be able to set it to 512 MB. If there is no setting, you might need a BIOS update. My laptop wouldn't let me change this setting until I updated the BIOS to the latest. Also, check if your HD 4000 driver is updated to the latest "Iris" driver. You can find out on Intel's website using this tool: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics which requires that your browser has Java applet installed enabled. I found that doing these two things improved gaming performance across the board.

Dilan Gilluly

Reputable
Jul 17, 2014

BIOS ROMs are customized by laptop manufacturers. Some allow you to make changes to video RAM settings, some don't.

Socks1

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Yeah I don't think I can, just looked into BIOS and didn't see the option.