[SOLVED] Games constantly crashing, can't pinpoint issue

Jul 8, 2019
Hi all, lately I have been unable to play almost any games on my PC due to them constantly freezing and crashing. I mostly play WoW, Dota 2, Dota Underlords, Sekiro, Destiny 2. First this issue started with just Dota 2, then over time it kept happening in more and more games, with WoW being the only one that has not crashed yet.

My PC specs :

Processor: AMD FX 9590 8 core
Ram: 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
PSU: 850 Watts*
2 Monitors
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

With Dota 2, sound still plays in the background and I have to shut off the game with task manager, with all the rest they just crash. While playing I monitored my gpu performance and whenever there was a crash it spiked to 100% usage. My second monitor which is quite old barely turns on as well even though it is powered on and connected. If it does turn on it takes a long time to do so.

So what I have done so far is :

-Monitored temps for CPU and GPU, they seemed ok with my CPU being around 43C and GPU at 60C
-Ran memory diagnostics and I found no issues.
-Checked HDD and SSD health with Hard Disk Sentinel and it showed all as healthy.
-Switched in a R9 380 graphics card and still experienced the same issues
-Put in a 750W PSU instead and tested with both graphics card and still had the same issues.
-Tried unplugging old monitor and just using one.

I don't really know too much about hardware but I found it strange that I would be getting the same issue with a different graphics card, and different PSU which makes me think the issue could be more related to either my CPU or motherboard.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Solution
Ok, so it's not the temps. If the thermal margin had said 10C or lower, then it'd be overheating.
Next, try to underclock and undervolt the cpu.
Try 4.0 @ 1.35v.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's a good chance it's your cpu. FX 9xxx series is hella unstable, and few people are able to actually tame it.
Those temps you're reporting, wasn't with AMD Overdrive, I presume? Any other program doesn't provide a correct diagnostic.

Download AMD Overdrive and post the results you get while gaming. Depending on those results, you may have to undervolt and underclock the cpu.

Jul 8, 2019
There's a good chance it's your cpu. FX 9xxx series is hella unstable, and few people are able to actually tame it.
Those temps you're reporting, wasn't with AMD Overdrive, I presume? Any other program doesn't provide a correct diagnostic.

Download AMD Overdrive and post the results you get while gaming. Depending on those results, you may have to undervolt and underclock the cpu.

I downloaded it and tried playing some Dota 2, crashed twice in less than 2 minutes, with my CPU temps being at around 40 C

Dec 9, 2019
First, install new drivers for gpu, update bios and get new chipset drivers ( all toutorials on youtube )
Next stop all overclocks if you are doing any.
Lastly if neither of those work try finding a program that it always crashes on.. Try runing something demanding and as you are doing that look into task manager if either cpu or ram are using all resources also check the pemps of both cpu and gpu while that is happening. You can narrow down the problem to a specific component.